March 18, 2010

Amazing Homemade Chicken, Rice, Garbanzo...Soup!

Today was fantastic. Mainly because I just ate a wonderful bowl of homemade soup! I was a little nervous, deciding not to buy any chicken broth and making the recipe 100% homemade. Last time I made soup I did 1/2 chicken broth and 1/2 homemade stock, so this time was the real deal.

Last night I diced up a bunch of veggies & placed 2 chicken breasts in a pressure cooker with a huge amount of herbs, garlic cloves, onion and such.



I let it bowl for a little bit without completely closing the pressure cooker lid, then added the veggies, garbanzos, and brown rice, and closed the crazy pressure machine. It went to town for a few mins on med/high heat, then once it started sounding I bumped the heat down to medium and let the yummy soup cook for a good 15-20 minutes. Eduardo (hubby) said we should turn off the heat, leave the lid on for a bit, and let it continue cooking for a few mins. Taking off that lid let off the most comforting aroma! & I'm being serious, because I have never talked this way about a dish. "comforting aroma" how silly.



It. was. so. delicious!
Ingredients:
  • H20
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 2-3 cups garbanzos (chickpeas!)
  • 2 cups brown rice
  • 4 celery stalks
  • 2 large carrots
  • 2 green onion.... stalks?
  • handful fresh green beans
  • handful cilantro
  • bay leaves (I just threw about 7 in the pot)
  • thyme
  • parsley
  • oregano
  • other awesome herbs
  • 1.5 tbsp salt


I paired a bowl of this lovely stuff with a turkey wrap. yums.



I love these whole wheat tortillas!!



And now, for the beginning of this blissful Thursday (blissful 'cause tomorrow is friiidayyy!)

Bfast:

blue oats! oats, blueberries, nanner, raisins

Snack @ work:

perfect tasting raw oats, cinnamon, raisins & washington apple, fellas.

Lunch while standing:

whole wheat sammich, 2 slices turkey, mustard, huge handful o' greens, big ol' chunk of green bell, and a serrano chili (for biting o' course!) with a mandarin, grapes & thick baby carroots.

snack man:

then, on my way homes, I ate some green apple slices & green grapes while walking to my car.... and a Larabar while driving home (danger?!)

Workout (with less pain, may I add! yipee!) 4 mi - 40:12 on elliptical, followed by a large 10 min load of weights (5 lbs, I'm a baby when it comes to weights), and a 5 min core workout so rough I couldn't do no more. It felt good~

Postworkout yums:

2nd nanner of the day!

Then I pulled out a good read, it's filling my brain with awesome facts about the foods we eat, the foods we really shouldn't eat, and what happens when we eat 'em. So interesting! I'm turning into a wizz? Hardly. But I do recommend the book:

I gots mine @ the library. Free, much?

:)

2 comments:

  1. Your soup looks amazing! I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! & yes, the colors make the flavor so much better :)

    ReplyDelete