March 23, 2010

Eggplant Lasagna

So, the first time I decided to make lasagna, I went on a recipe scavenger hunt. "Ricotta-free lasagna" google searches gave me a bunch of cottage cheese lasagnas, which I didn't want. "dairy-free lasagna" google searches gave me anti-cheese lasagnas, which I didn't care for, either. So I grabbed a little bit from google searched recipes, a little from the "classic recipe" on the back of the box of the whole wheat lasagna I buy, and a little from the "vegetarian lasagna" recipe, also on the back of the lasagna box.

Eggplant, ricotta-free, lean turkey lasagna
with homemade tomato sauce



Ingredients for tomato sauce:
  • 7 tomatoes
  • 1 serrano chili
  • dash o' salt
  • oregano, parsley, basil, thyme
Lasagna ingredients:
  • whole wheat lasagna noodles
  • 1/2 large eggplant (or a whole one! hello veggie bomb!)
  • 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
  • mozzarella (about 2 cups)
  • parmesan (1/2 cup)
  • sour cream + 1 egg white (optional, I used them this time but it'll be the last time I do. It's really just to give the cheese concoction a glue-like texture so you can spread it on the noodles like you would with ricotta, but next time I'm just going to mix parmesan and mozz. and sprinkle it between layers, seems much more decent and requires less work! yay!
Step by Step:
  1. Preheat oven to.... 350!
  2. Cook the turkey until brown, add italian seasonings, yo.
  3. Boil tomatoes & chili for a good 5-10 mins
  4. Cook eggplant, brown it nicely (I just put it in with the cooked turkey and cover it)
  5. Bring turkey/eggplant pan's heat to a nice low, and keep it covered.
  6. Drain the tomatoes h20 and add a bunch of crazy good herbs, and some salt to taste
  7. (since we're Mexicanos we blended the tomatoes + chili until completely pureed, then place the puree in a mini-pot with some olive oil and millions of herbs, and let it boil for 10 mins. I think it'd be tastier with chunks of tomatoes, but the man wanted a puree!)
  8. Mash them tomatoes up real nice.
  9. Add sauce to turkey/eggplant.
  10. Cover and let meat sauce simmer for a few mins.
  11. In the meantime... combine cheeses & egg/sour cream (if desired) for a nice paste. (if you're not using egg/sour cream, just mix the parmesan and mozz and add some basil. this will be sprinkled between layers on the lasagna)
  12. Layer up that lasagna, man!
  13. I do sauce first, then lasagna, then cheese, sauce, lasagna, cheese...etc - with last layer being cheese so it turns nice and brown in the end!
  14. Bake for 45 mins, covered with foil. Remove foil for last 10 mins for the cheese to get toasty.
  15. To check if it's completely done - stick butter knife through the deepest part of the lasagna, through as many noddles as possible - if the knife goes through the noodles softly and perfectly - it's done.

Served with brocc is so tasty!!

The rest of the day was pretty special, too:

540am - bfast:

oats, milk, cinnamon, dash o' brown sugah, blueberries, raisins, almonds & nanner

8:15am - snack:

raw oats, cinnamon, raisins, milk, kiwi, apple. Dude. Yum.

12:00pm - lunch:

Sandwich bomb! Whole wheat bread, 2 slices lean turkey, green bell, handful of greens, cucumber, serrano chili, grapes, carrots, mandarin.

2:00pm - snack:

duh! my favorite invention?!

3:00pm - workout:
Hello high school track! I did it! It's been like 6 months! Ah.
4 miles (16 laps) in 43:00. I know, slower than usual. But it was super windy, and I haven't run on a track since September, so I was just happy I didn't hit 50 minutes. yes!

Water bottle pose after a great run!
It felt so good, the weather was beautiful and my iPod played glorious music for me. I'm definitely going to try and run on the track at least once a week. Once I got home, I dedicated 15 minutes to some 5lb weights for me arm musculososos and some ab toning.

5:30pm - dinna:

For reals, that was amazing. in every way possible.

beautiful sunset in mai backyard, sweet!


6:00pm - dessert:

half an 85% dark chocolate square, almonds, cutie mandarin.

8:00pm - 2nd dessert:

raw oats, muesli, almonds, raisins, cinnamon.

Sometimes I feel like a bowl of oats is the only way I can sanely end my day. Oh oats, our special relationship is so stinkin' strong.

2 comments:

  1. Your lasagna looks incredible! I'm really interested in trying it (even though I've never had eggplant before - I know, shame).

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much!! & eggplant is a little intimidating, especially the first time. But honestly, in a lasagna, you can't even taste it! It's hard to use the other half the huge vegetable up, though. I've tried other recipes but haven't had success. I might try eggplant chips haha. Hmmm... we'll see!!

    ReplyDelete