March 20, 2010

First Time: Artichokes

Ah, there I was, standing in the grocery store trying to pick a new fruit or veggie. I needed one that I had seen many times before, but had never tried. A funny shaped fruit, or an intimidating veggie. Which would it be? Then I saw the artichokes - 2 for $3! What a deal. So we took 'em home to accompany Mr. Steak & Potato...

Let's start off the day~
8:30am

nanner & almonds w/ raisins, to fuel up for a run at Greenlake

9:00am
Greenlake run! It was so beautiful!

I usually shoot for 1 lap, a nice 5k, no pressure, relaxing... etc. But today I told myself I'd jog 2 laps - over 6 miles... 10.25K... will I survive? I had done it once before, but it was definitely a slow jog the whole way though. So I used Eduardo's iPhone, started the clock, turned the music up, and moved my feet.

Before:


After (me:6miles, him: 12miles):


I was so proud of meself! I didn't pass out or anything!!
10.25km - 1 hr 6 mins at a 6:27/km pace. Not too shabby!


Post run stretch with tree:


Overjoyed with my run!


11:00am - ish...
Then we drove to Starbucks land, before hitting up Costco. I got meself some Perfect oats, with h20, nuts, sugar-filled dried fruit. I skipped the brown sugar 'cause the dried fruit is packed with sugary sweetness - no need to over do it, ya'll!


Veggies & fruits after our successful grocery day:

  • Red grapes
  • tomatoes
  • Washington apples
  • Organic baby carrots
  • mandarin oranges
  • yellow and green nanners
  • Organic Spring mix
  • 2 artichokes
  • 2 green bells
  • green onion
  • English cucumber
  • Serrano chili
  • avocado
  • brussel sprouts
  • broccoli & celery.

2:50pm - Dinnah!


mixed greens, olive oil, red wine vinegar, Parmesan, whole wheat bread (toasted with italian seasoning and ripped into crouton-like cubes), new york baby-sized steak (with fat cut off, 'cause I'm picky....), homemade refried beans with chili pepper, 1/2 baked potato with green onion, artichoke with mustard dipping sauce.


Artichoke verdict: not too bad, but not to die for. I think with the 2nd one I'll make a dip, or eat it raw, or... do something differently. I steamed it, then kinda roasted it with salt and pepper. Good flavor, but I feel weird just eating part of each leaf, ya know? Getting my money's worth seems like I'd have to eat the whole thing. Meh. I'll do some research and give artichokes a 2nd chance!!

7:45pm - Ivar's dinner!
Celebrating a friend's bday at Seattle's famous fish place: Ivar's
Eduardo and I had only been to this place once, and had gotten some fish n chips. I honestly thought it was all they served there, but - surprise! - there's a more fancy, formal, lounge-type part of the restaurant! Sweet.

They brought us some...
Sourdough bread:


& I decided to order the Landing House Salad:

Greens, tomato, cucumber, spun carrot, red onions, garlic herb croutons, balsamic vinaigrette dressing. I really didn't think it needed the dressing (which tasted mainly like honey), 'cause the red onion had a powerful taste, and each bite was full of awesome flavor, so I ended up skipping out on the dressing and stickin' to them wholesome greens.


10:20pm - raw oats to wash out that there onion smell!

When we got home from dinner, I smelled onion-like, and was slightly hungry since our last meal was early afternoonish. So I had a small bowl of raw oats/muesli and called it a night.

Sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment