March 15, 2010

First Time: Asparagus

Okay, it was my second time. But this time it was for real. New goal: buy a new fruit or veggie each week and try it for the first time. Like it? Buy it more often. Don't like it? Give it another try, and then decide if you'll buy it again. Here goes!

Them delicious, satisfying, morning oats:

oats, milk, h20, strawberries, blueberries, almonds, raisins, banana.

El morning snack:

popchips from Sundays race (you'll be seeing more of these in the future, I stole like a whole box. They aren't that good, or satisfying, but they got a nice crunch to 'em!) & a delicious Washington apple.

Lunch: almond buttah/organic jam sammich on whole wheat bread, mandarin orange, baby carrots, red grapes

Snacking in boss lady's office:

I love you, apple pie Larabar.
But not as much as I love a good water bottle full of h20.

[painful] workout: 40 mins on elliptical, nice ol' stretch, 20 mins weights & abs

Post-workout goods:

1 banana with cinnamon, raisins and a few drops of agave nectar

Dinner....beware....

Ingredients in chicken/rice (serves 2):
  • 1/2 c. brown rice
  • 1 tsp. rosemary (for rice)
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. cilantro
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • dash red pepper flakes
  • dash o' salt
  • 2-3 tomatoes
  • 1 serrano chili
Instructions:
  1. Cook the rice w/ the rosemary and set aside
  2. heat a sauce pan on med. heat with olive oil for the chicken
  3. add chicken breasts, chili powder, cilantro, oregano, red pepper flakes & salt
  4. over and cook 'till nice and toasty brown on the bottom, then flip and do the same for the other side ~ or until fully cooked
  5. While chicken is cooking.... fill a small sauce pan half way with h20
  6. Add tomatoes and serrano chili and bring to a high boil, covered
  7. Let boil for 5-7 mins. Once skin is coming off tomatoes like crazy (naked tomato!)
  8. Drain out about 1/2 the water and pour tomatoes, chili and remaining water into a blender
  9. Leave blender open and do not blend tomatoes right away (they like to explode when they're super hot & put into a blender at high speeds) let them cool without the lid on.
  10. In the mean time... remove chicken from pan and place in a dish of some sort (I used a med. square glass one for baking) dice up chicken with knife or with your hands, and add rice to the chicken.
  11. While holding onto blender lid with all your might, blend tomatoes & chili
  12. Pour tomato puree over rice and chicken and mix until grains/protein are well coated :)
  13. Serve super hot, garnish with cilantro? (I didn't garnish mine... but it'd probably look pretty)
The asparagus was cooked with olive oil, salt and pepper. It smelled yummy, looked yummy, and for the first 7 bites, tasted pretty yummy, too. Then I started to really taste it. I told myself "don't be a child, enjoy it, savor every bite of the asparagus" but I couldn't help it - half way through, I had to force myself to eat it, while covering it in chicken/rice. I'm a child?! Anyway, I am going to look for some tasty asparagus recipes and give it a 2nd chance. It has to grow on me, right?!

Well, to make up for the childish asparagus experience, I had the greatest dessert known to man (not true, but it was definitely one of the prettiest!) They're everywhere: from McDonalds to high class hotels (question mark?) and I finally made one of my own, thank you to Women's Health magazine and their tempting picture of one in the last mag I read.

Berry Yogurt Granola Parfait
(and by granola I mean muesli!!!!)




Low-fat plain yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, raw oats & muesli.
So good, so filling! I think I'm going to add cinnamon to the yogurt next time :) Anyway, my stomach is very content and I will now contemplate another ice date with my feet, and catch up on some reading.

PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment