April 6, 2010

5 miles - Hail & Rain Attack

Today started off in a beautiful-looking-bowl kind of way:

These oats were so delicious! It'd been a while since I heated up some frozen strawberries in my oats, and, after I tasted the amazingness this morning, it might just have to be repeated Wednesday-Friday.

At the daycare we served oranges with breakfast. I knew there would be leftover, so I took the liberty of eating a handful of 'em!

A little girl asked me, "why are you eating all the oranges?" and I told her, "because there are always leftovers, they go in the fridge and are usually thrown out." So she asked, "can I eat some?" I told her she could so she reached right into the bowl and ate like 4 slices! Yay for filling her up with some good old vitamin C!

On my break I realized I hadn't brought any raw oats to work, so I grabbed some fresh broccoli out of the fridge and microwaved it. Then cut up a huge apple & some raw carrots. I pretty much grazed these 3 bowls for 15 minutes.


Lunch time!

Green-packed sandwich Tuesday! Today's grand sandwich consisted of: cucumbers, green bell pepper, 2 slices turkey, mustard, baby spinach, alfalfa sprouts, & a serrano chili to bite into. On the side I ate about 20 million grapes, baby carrots, and cucumber. I tried eating the celery raw, but only got to eating one. (Don't worry, I made up for it after me run) & my "dessert" was a mandarin orange. They're so sweet, leavin me feeling like I had a piece o' cake. Sorta?

2:00pm snack!

& fuel for my run at 3 :) Need my strength, yo!

Workout Story: So today was supposed to be a hardcore run on the track. I'm 3 days away from my first 5 mile race, and I needed this day. Not fun part: I had to run with my glasses today (or run blind-ish), 'cause I was out of contacts - boo! But: my hubby had downloaded some awesome tunes on me iPod, and I just got some new earphones (my old ones always fell out during runs because of sweat, wind, movement, etc) - so I was really excited to run! Once I got to the track, I turned on the music and started to run. Here was my planned training:
  • 6 laps - normal pace (remove glasses if needed)
  • 1 lap fast pace, 1 lap normal pace (repeat 5 times for 10 complete laps)
  • 1 lap rest
But, what really went down:
  • 1 lap - normal pace, glasses on.
  • 2nd lap - hail...
  • 3rd lap - hail and rain, glasses getting wet, earphones getting wet? Nooo, please!
  • 4th lap - hail, rain, glasses removed (BLIND!), earphones super wet.


A rained-on/hailed-on Nicole is a sad Nicole.

I had to stop! I ran to my car and called my hubby for what to do next (He's my coach, for real - I do what he says 'cause he's been there when it comes to running. He's amazing and inspirational, and he tells me how to prevent injuries and what to do in situations like this! Aww, love.) He told me I could run outside, but without the headphones, or go to the apartment and hop on the treadmill, trying to imitate "fast lap, slow lap" on the treadmill's belt. So I did.

So. This is how the treadmill & I spent the next 50 minutes:
  • 2 minute warmup
  • 1.5 miles at 6.2 speed
  • 2.5 miles alternating 6.2-7.0 speed
  • .5 miles at 7.5
  • 5 minute rest

Official 5 mile time: 46:52! Hooray! This great run (with headphones on, and glasses off, may I add) was followed by an exhausting 20 minutes of weights and such. I had never run so hard in my life. I'm so thankful to be improving, even if it's only on a treadmill that forces me to go fast - that's still pretty awesome.

After workout gifts to my insides:

Look! I made up for not eating all the celery at lunch! Here are 2 long pieces, with almond butter and raisins. & a huge banana. Delish-us.

Dinner:


Whole wheat spaghetti, with 101cookbooks' 5 minute tomato sauce, and 1/2 a chicken breast. Huge salad on the side with baby spinach, red wine vinegar, olive oil, parmesan, homemade croutons. Yum.

Sweet tooth, you do exist!

I couldn't help meself, so I grabbed the ends off of my sister's amazing strawberry... cookie... cake... delicious invention.

&this...


&this!

1/2 cup raw oats
1/4 cup muesli
raisins, almonds, cinnamon, fat-free milkers.

&, the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment