April 15, 2010

Lovely Tuna Casserole (canned-soup-free!!)

Thursday: almost Friday! So, I have to mention something: I just had to floss & brush my teeth (actually, around 6:30) in order to stop myself from even entering the kitchen and eating. What's with me lately? Doesn't matter how full I am, I still want to stuff dry cereal in my face! Lame. But the flossing + brushing totally makes me stop. So that's good? I just wish I didn't have to do it. What happened to my self control, yo?! Anyhow...

Today started and ended pretty awesome-like. I'm pretty sure I hit like 10 servings of fruit. Over kill on the natural sugars, much? Ah, well, my body feels happy and fruity inside!

Breakfast:

oats, nonfat milks, cinnamon, 1 banana, blueberries, 2 strawberries, raw almonds and happiness.

At-work snack:

8 million orange slices, 1 kiwi, 1 apple :D

Banana #2

came out of the daycare fridge - so it so tasted like banana icecream!!

Lunch, man:

sammich! mustard, 2 slices turkey, green bell, cucumber, spinach, serrano chili (can you say spiciest chili I've had in like 2 months? I was crying, my nose was running, and I was all pink. But it was just so good! I love that crunch!)
& fruits:


2pm snack:

here's where the over-eating started. I wasn't hungry, but I ate it. Why? 'cause I brought it to work, thinking I'd be hungry. 'Cause I usually am around 2pm. But not today. Anyhow. those banana bread cookies are to die for. and a cutie never fails!!

Workout (ie: part of the day where I make the body ache-so-good to make up for yesterdays over-eating attack) 1.5 miles treadmill - SHIN SPLITS ?! then: 4 miles elliptical. Total mileage: 5.5 miles - 52:08 & 20 minutes weights/abs. Burns so good. I figured I'd push myself more than usual on the elliptical, since running isn't being too friendly lately. & I always feel like Mr. Elliptical isn't as hardcore at the treadmill, so I try to go a little harder and faster to make up for.... it.

Post-workout fuel:

cute mini lara & my 3rd banana of the day. I can't help it. I'm seriously in love with bananas.

Dinner:

Tuna casserole baby!

I searched everywhere online for a soup-free casserole. Instead of looking for a low-sodium cream o' mushroom I prefer making my own wacko concoction of ingredients to get the same yummy texture. The only thing is, wherever there's a recipe that is soup-free, there is sour cream added. Then I found this great recipe:

Healthy Tuna Casserole
Clean Eating, Sept/Oct 2009
(Serves 8)

6 slices whole-wheat bread
8 oz whole-wheat macaroni pasta
olive oil cooking spray
2 stalks celery, diced
1 medium yellow or white onion, diced
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp whole-wheat flour
2 cups skim milk
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 carrots, peeled, cooked and diced
2 6-oz cans tuna packed in water, drained
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
1 Tbsp fresh dill, finely minced
1 Tbsp low-fat Parmesan cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Toast bread in oven for 15 minutes or until just browned and crisp. Leave oven on at same temperature after removing bread. In a food processor fitted with a standard cutting blade, grind bread into breadcrumbs. Remove 1/2 cup for use and reserve remainder for another recipe.

Bring a large stockpot filled with water to a boil over high heat. Add pasta and cook according to package directions.

Meanwhile, heat another large stockpot over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Mist with cooking spray and add celery and onion. Saute for 2 minutes or until onions become translucent.

Add oil and flour and whisk briskly. Add milk whisking in 1/4 cup at a time (this will create a roux or thickener, for your soup). Reduce heat to medium. Whisk in Dijon. Then stir in drained pasta, carrots, tuna and peas. Add dill. Remove from heat.

Pour tuna pasta mixture into a large 8-to 10-cup casserole dish. Top with 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes or until browned on top.

Nutrients per 1 cup serving: Cal 230, Total Fat 3g, Sat Fat 0.5g, Carbs 32g, Fiber 6g, Sugars 9g, Protein 20g, Sodium 250mg, Cholesterol 15mg.

My changes:
I had no celery, or onion, or dijon, or carrots, no food processor to grind my own breadcrumbs... so....
  • Cooked whole wheat pasta (1/2 a box - our casserole serves 4~)
  • Added a million peas, lowered heat
  • Heated a separate pot, added olive oil, chopped onion flakes
  • Added whole wheat flour, milk, whisked until almost soup-like
  • Added normal mustard.
  • Drained noodles/peas and added dry dill weed
  • Added noodles/peas to creamy, soup-like milk, added tuna
  • Placed in baking dish and added these whole wheat bread crumbs [and baked for 30 mins]:


The sad, lame reason I won't be buying them again: the 3rd ingredient is salt. Tricky fellas! I only use this for my hubby's chicken parmesan, and used to use it all the time for tuna casserole (but haven't made casserole in like 4 months). So once it's gone, we'll just live without it. Or maybe a magical food processor will show up at my doorstep and I will be able to make my own bread crumbs! sweet.



I'm thinking of adding broccoli inside the casserole next time. And celery. And asparagus?! And carrrrrots!!!! I just love throwing bunches of veggies in dishes like this! All the flavors work so well together.

And, then I ate some more dry cereal.
Hence the brushing the teeth at 6:30 to stop myself from eating so much!
Tuna casserole: filling.

Happy almost Friday!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the link to my blog and stopping by to say hello. I am glad you liked the recipe--Clean Eating has so many great healthy ones to enjoy. I am kind of craving tuna casserole again now! ;-)

    Aloha,

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the casserole recipe. It's great that it doesn't have any soup in it.

    I bet the brocolli would be awesome in it.

    Going to definitely have to try it sometime.

    (Geez, your recipes are going to keep me in the kitchen 24/7 lol)

    ReplyDelete