April 19, 2010

Sunday: Mexican Rice with Shrimp

I love Sundays. But, unfortunately, it's a Monday. A warm, partially sunny, Monday, but... still. Here's my late Sunday post! We made my hubby's famous (or his mom's famous) Mexican Rice with Shrimp! I'm excited to post this recipe 'cause, well, it's awesome. & my mom wants a copy :)

Let's start with the beginning o' the day:

Breakfast:

raw oats, muesli, raw almonds, 1 banana, raisins, cinnamon

Pre-Packin' Lunches!

My famous fruits washed & packed for the week

Pre-made oats for the week

I bought Flaxseed meal! So excited! I snuck a good tablespoon into the oats, don't tell my hubby!

Health update:

2 kleenex boxes later...

Sunny Sunday!


Mexican Rice
serves: 7-10 (kinda?)
Ingredients:
  • 3 cups uncooked brown rice
  • 1 pound tiger shrimp (or any shrimp, raw, de-skinned!)
  • 7-8 tomatoes
  • 2-3 large carrots, diced
  • 1 1/2 cups peas
  • 1 tomato bouillon
  • handful of fresh cilantro
  • 1 ear garlic
  • onion (white, but we ran out so we used a green one - teehee!)
  • olive oil




Instructions:
  • Heat large pot on med-high heat, add oil
  • Add rice and "fry" 'till golden brown, move often
  • Cook carrots/peas in micro or on stove, in a small pot with h20
  • Cut tomatoes into fourths, and place in blender with onion, garlic & tomato bouillon
  • Once rice is evenly golden, blend tomatoes for 1-2 mins, or until there are no chunks left
  • Drain & add cooked veggies to rice
  • Add peeled shrimps
  • Carefully pour tomato puree onto rice, then fill blender 3/4 full with water and add to rice
  • Mix concoction around slightly (so tomato puree coats all of the rice)
  • Toss in the cilantro, cover & cook for about 30 minutes on medium heat
Tips:
  • Add more veggies! My hubby's used to the original recipe (his mom's) so he doesn't like making too many changes - (it used to be a white rice recipe! dude!) But, truly, the veggies measurement is not set in stone. I'd shoot for 3 cups peas (to max 3 cups rice) and like... 5 huge carrots. But that's just me!
  • Rice may look a little... "wet" when you first remove the lid. It soaks up a lot of the liquid after a few mins (like... when you go for seconds!) so don't worry! Overcooking it might result in burning
  • When serving, try to serve from one side of the pot (if you move the cooked rice around it will become mush. sludge. rice mud? Don't do it!

rice brownin!


tomatoes ready for puree (hey look! we are out of garlic too. Oh dry garlic, you just aren't the same!)







Dinner!

sugar snap peas with olive oil, red pepper flakes, a dash o 'salt, red wine vinegar, balsamic, rice vinegar... sheesh! the things I do to try and make my taste buds like sugar snap peas. When will it work?

Rice:

I definitely went for seconds, but a baby-sized second plate. DELICIOUS!

Then Eduardo and I spent the next million hours taking down our broken Ikea lighting and putting up our apartment complex's huge ceiling fan. Here's our reward:

so cold and juicy.

Dessert!

low-fat plain yogurt blended with frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries & agave. Topped with raw oats, almonds, and raisins.

I want sleep. & a nose that I can breathe through. Snap!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That rice looks incredible! I'm not a big shrimp fan, but I'm sure I could easily substitude another type of protein...

    Hope you can say goodbye to the kleenex soon!

    ReplyDelete