May 17, 2010

Baked Salmon with Tomatoes

About 6 months ago, I stopped eating salmon. We ate it weekly, cooked it almost the same every day (olive oil, pan, salt, pepper, bam), and soon enough I was almost forcing myself to put each bite into my mouth. I couldn't stand the dryness, the flavor, the texture, the smell. So I decided to say goodbye, and we saved huge loads of money (yipee!), and I got some of my Omega 3's from canned tuna. Joy.

Shortly after, chicken started tasting bad to me. It was so weird. I came to the conclusion that it was the method I took when I decided to cook it. I would over cook it, dry it out, make it chewy and awkward. I wanted to become vegetarian. Not to save the animals, but because meat in general started grossing me out.

Ever since I started this food blog (hello March 1, 2010!) I've fallen back in love with chicken, I longed to try my hubby's weekly portion of salmon, which I carefully marinate overnight with the tastiest of spices/liquids. I've tasted many foods for the first time (asparagus, artichoke, brussel sprouts, alfalfa, cauliflower, roasted brocc, raw spinach, sweet potato, grapefruit, spinach pancakes, eggplant, to name a few...) and I've loved just about all of them. Why? I haven't a clue. Maybe it's this new outlook on food in general. If it's good looking, and does the body good, and has natural hardcore amazing flavors that are way better than over-salted, processed, sugar-y foods, I'll eat it, and I'll probably like it. If not, I'll try it a few more times, and then I will love it. It keeps happening!


Baked salmon with tomato/green onion deliciousness!

Anyway, I guess I could've just started this post by saying "I used to this salmon was disgusting, but today I ate an entire fillet and it was the tastiest piece of fish I've ever eaten in my entire life." But hey! I had to give ya'll the full story, for those who have the slightest interest (mami?).

Let's start with Monday's beginning, shall we?

Breakfast:

delicious rice milk oats with 1 banana, mixed berries, almonds, raisins


Why I snap the photo before mixing: this bowl lookith sloppy.

Snack:

Look what Trader Joe's gave us! A huge load of mini carrots in nicely portioned plastic-y bags. I kinda feel like an anti-Green girl, though. Me all trying to stop with the ziplocs, now I will throw one of these bags away every day. Greaat.

Lunch:

How to sammich without jam: (we forgot to buy some, and I didn't mention it 'cause of its sugar, teehee) Almond butter, cinnamon + raisins. It's delicious and sweet and delicious.

Workout: 5 mi - 46:45 elliptical + 15 mins weights/abs

Eat Me:

love.

Dinner:

Kinda lame, 'cause you can't even see the salmon! Got the amazing recipe from foodnetwork.com (recipe here!!) it pretty much consists of:
  • A large piece of foil
  • 1 salmon fillet
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • green onion, diced
  • olive oil
  • salt + pepper to taste
Make it into a big ol' dome and bake at 400* for 25 mins = perfection. Oh + I roasted the brocc + re-roasted part of a sweet potato with the salmon. Fantastic and light, and wonderful.

Dessert:

low-fat plain yogurt with flaxseed meal, cinnamon, raw oats, muesli + frozen berries.

These eats were grand. And now it's almost Tuesday. Sweet.

1 comment:

  1. How inspiring your posts are, I am incorporating more fresh veggies daily to our meals, especially lunch. :) The salmon recipe sounds awesome, I will have to try that. Its amazing how a different cooking method can make or break the food. Love it Nicoli! Te amo, Mamita

    ReplyDelete