May 22, 2010

Flaxseed Eggs? + Cauliflower Crusted Pizza

Today was such a great day, I couldn't figure out why my mood was so happy and care-free, but it felt stinkin' good! We woke up around 8am to get ready to go to our favorite running spot in Seattle: Green Lake. Hubby's training: 1/2 marathon distance (4.5 laps or more around lake). Nicole's training: 10.25K (2 laps around the lake). It was overcast, but the sun tried shining down on us a few times. The temp was around 48* and I was so glad I ran without a jacket, 'cause I was already sweating only 6 minutes into my run.

Today's plans: Green Lake run, Whole Foods, Farmer's Market, home, Araya's Vegetarian Place for my early birthday dinner, sleep.

Today's actual happenings: Green Lake run, Fred Meyer's huge organic section, leaving my dead car at a shop over the weekend since it has no battery/alternator working, home, flaxseed as an eggs substitute: fail, cauliflower pizza, almost falling asleep while watching Iron Man 2 in the theater, sleep.

Eats:

1 banana, cinnamon, almonds, raisins, almond buttah

Early bday gift from hubby!

new running shirt! with mini-pocket in the back, and hole in the shoulder for them ear phones, anddd... it's not black! hooray for a little color in my life. He's the best hubby, ever :)

My Run: 10.25K - 58:17! New PR, man!
Hubby's Run: 1/2 marathon - 1:30:20! Shoot, he could definitely attack a marathon in 3 hours.
His goal for November is to hit 3, so, today was awesome for him!

I'm actually improving, I think! I have been able to maintain and certain pace for my entire runs (or at least a good majority of 'em) I think I'm a "little under 6:00/km" girl. Hope it stays that way!

Sbux:

oats, of course. minus the brown sugar, 'cause the dry fruit has enough sugar for me, yo.

Frozen Fuel:

Made a Green Monster last night, but ended up putting it in a bowl in the freezer overnight, 'cause it just seemed a little heavy for 10:30pm. Today I took it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge, and ate this baby for like 2 hours (ate some, put it back, ate some more...) it was so delicious and was definitely froyo like! Even though it was made with rice milk :)

Organic stash:

A friend recommended a nearby grocery store that has loads of organic choices. So we went, and were so surprised! I bought a little squash for the first time, and we got some 88% dark chocolate my hubby said he had read about on Amazon or something, haha. There were aisles and aisles of "natural" foods, all organic, a gluten free section, a household items section, AND we found some fresh, no-range, vegetarian-fed chicken! Hooray for animals that don't eat corn, but eat actual food. Made us pretty happy.

Breakfast "eggs":

If you read the side of a bag o' flaxseed meal, it might tell you may be used as an egg substitute. For one egg, use 1 tbsp flaxseed meal/3 tbsp water and use where you would use an egg. I thought "hey, scrambled eggs!" aaand... I don't think that's what they mean. After getting online (while waiting for the flaxseed eggs to actually cook...) I read that it's mainly a good substitute for baking, not for your favorite omelet. FAIL. It wasn't horrible, it was just... not so... fantastico.

Dinner:

hubby got his steak!

Cauliflower Pizza!


Thank you, thank you, to Peanut Butter Fingers (recipe) and to this website for this fabulous idea to use cauliflower instead of flour! Amazing? Yes.

How-To
  • 1 cup cooked cauliflower
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 tsp fennel
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 2 tsp parsley

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit.
  2. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with fennel, oregano and parsley.
  4. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).
  5. Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings, and bake until top looks nice + cooked + golden + delicious!

unbelievable! Not filling, though, maybe it needs some protein powder (hah!). It didn't get crunchy except for the edges, but it was delicious. I was hungry about an hour and a half later, though. So I got early dessert!

First Time: [Dates]

Heaven. I never knew these were so good. I dashed it with cinnamon + the last bite was enjoyed with a raw almond :) I've been saving these guys to make some homemade Larabars, but I yet to own a food processor, so lara will have to wait.

Dessert:

YES! Yogurt parfait: low-fat plain yogurt, frozen berries put in microwave, raw oats. Layer, layer, consume.

Movie Theater sneak in:

Since Edu (hubby) wasn't hungry as soon as I was for dessert, we shelled some unsalted peanuts and added them to a baggy of almonds, raisins, and 1 85% dark chocolate square for him to snack on during the movie. I ate a few peanuts, shoot, so good.

Falling asleep in movie theaters makes me feel like I'm 90 years old. Gosh.

1 comment:

  1. Love the new shirt! Great time for your run - you rock girl!

    I used to fall asleep at the drive in a lot. They always play a dbl feature and I'd stay awake for the first movie, but fall asleep about 20 minutes into the second one, lol.

    ReplyDelete