May 19, 2010

Quinoa Pinto Bean Soup

Love soup. Love how veggie-packed you can make 'em. Love how they're filling and comfort-food like. Love how there are no boundaries in Mr. Ingredients List. Today I wanted to shoot for a meat-less dinner, so I pulled out some pintos last night + diced up a bunch of veggies, dozens of dry herbs, some bay leaves and went to down in the pressure cooker. Life saver, you pressure cooker.


A-maz-ing. Kind of ugly, I won't lie. Needed tomatoes but I skipped 'em 'cause we were running low and I didn't want to make the hubby tomato-less.
  • Pinto beans
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Quinoa
  • 2 huge carrots
  • 2 celery stalks
  • bay leaves
  • h20
  • millions o' herbs
  • salt to taste
Pressure cooker for 20 mins, turn off heat, keep lid on for another 30, remove lid, let cool, tupperware the big guy. Then eat for the next 5 days. :)

The rest of the (no workout) Wednesday:

Breakfast:

raw oats, muesli, cinnamon, flaxseed meal, frozen berries, almonds, 1 banana, plain soy milk.

Snack:


Lunch:

crooked sandwich so you can enjoy the incredible insides! Almond butter, cinnamon, raisins. That's how you do a sandwich when you're out of jam. Fabulous. Check out them kiwi hiding under the grapes! I found out a great way to eat kiwi, too...

Kiwi Method:

Cut in half, place downwards in tupperware to prevent drying out (er somethin!) then peel away with them finger nails (bacteria?)

Or, ya know, just eat the skin. Or dice it. Or. Be normal.

Dinnah:



Quinoa Pinto Bean Soup with fresh radishes + green onion on top. Deliciously filling, especially with that fabulously huge spinach salad (red wine vin, olive oil, parm, italian seasoning, 1/2 slice whole wheat toasted - burnt - bread for croutons).

Happiness:

I needed more fruit, craved the sweetness, bro!

Read read read!!

I'm super excited to emerge myself into this read. I saw Alicia Silverstone on Oprah (teehee) and was like, "oh look, that gal from Clueless, the best movie of my childhood" and once she started talking about this fantastic meatless, dairy-free, veggie based way of life, I was drawn in. So, needless to say, I might just ignore the fact that my TV exists for the next few weeks and spend all my free time on this great read.

Time to pack them lunches for tomorrow + get my pre-cooked dinner skills on! Oh and, second hour of Biggest Loser, so excited to see 'em shoot for that marathon. Can't get much more inspiring than that right there.

PS my tummy is growling and I'm stoked to make meself some cinnamon yogurt w/apple. My favorite. Oh raw oats, you're callin' my name earlier tonight than usual. Sweet!

2 comments:

  1. That soup looks tasty. I love the idea of using radishes and green onions as garnishes - both things I have in my kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soup looks delish!

    Thanks for the link to the recipe site in your last post. I'm always on the hunt for new meals.

    Is the book by Alicia real new? I bet it's a good read.

    ReplyDelete