May 23, 2010

Sweet Potato Fries + Homemade Granola

Happy Sunday! Today the lovely hubby and I planned on sandwich day (best day known to man), and I had a craving to make some homemade sweet potato fries with flax seed like I've seen on many blogs out in blog land (here's a recipe from famous Tina @ Carrotsncake.com!). But, we ended up going for some spinach pancakes (made into burgers!), with the fancy fries on the side - and let me tell ya, it was the best Sunday eats in a while.

Breakfast:

Love Sundays, 'cause they mean cold cereal days! I adore my warm bowl of oats, but shoot, muesli is killer good when it's cold + topped with goodies. This bowl was filled with:
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/4 cup muesli
  • rice milk
  • cinnamon
  • raisins
  • almonds
  • flaxseed meal
  • 1 banana
  • a few frozen blueberries.

Snack:

Before leaving for church, I topped a whole wheat tortilla with almond butter, cinnamon + raisins (it tasted like cake, really) and Edu + I split a huge organic apple. It really took away the growling empty stomach feeling, and held us over for a lovely lunch/dinnah.

Lunch/Dinner:

First, we ate a huge spinach salad consisting of:
  • red wine vinegar
  • olive oil
  • dash o' parmesan
  • raisins
  • chopped up raw almonds
  • diced celery
Hubby loved it! I was so happy, made me feel like a hardcore cook (er... salad maker?) After salads we attacked some spinach pancakes!
I made 2 open-faced friends + baked sweet potato fries w/flaxseed! Spinach Pancake: Whole wheat bun, 1/2 avocado mashed, 1 diced tomato, red bell pepper, spinach, serrano chili + some mustard. Perfectly wonderfully tasting and filling, which is what we want, man. I love these spinach pancakes, they're full of so much flavor, and they're super fast.

Snack:

I shelled about 9 million unsalted peanuts for Edu, and ate about 5 myself. I love peanuts! Felt like there was peanut butter in my mouth each time I ate one. Mmmm peanut butttahhh..

Dessert:

low-fat plain yogurt with frozen strawberries, frozen mixed berries (blueberries, marionberries, rasberries) and a dash of agave. Topped with some homemade granola (recipe here!) Delicious! We're super excited 'cause now we won't be using up all of our muesli or kashi cereal over our yogurt treats - homemade granola all the way! Saves money, too, 'cause raw oats are cheap + fantastico.

Before dessert, I lived in the kitchen + made these things:





  • Homemade granola (recipe here!)
  • Quinoa Tabouleh (recipe hurr)
  • Grilled salmon - well, I made marinade for salmon to sleep in.
  • Home-cooked pinto beans (delicious, I ate some, of course)
  • Homemade granola bars (used up 1.5 cups of the homemade granola, before baking it, and added some almond butter and threw in the freezer. Love them bars!)
Off to watch Dr. Oz, taking notes and trying to feel smart.
Happy almost Monday! .....boohoo....

2 comments:

  1. Those spinach pancakes look phenom! I also love the shapes of the mustard on them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love celery in a salad. The extra cruch just takes it to another level for me.

    ReplyDelete