May 24, 2010

Vegan For a Day

I vote you read The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone

(source)
I've only read 30 pages or so and I'm hooked! It's all about living a life full of delicious vegetables, fruits, whole grains and beans. IE: the vegan way! About saying adios to dairy, eggs, meat, processed sugars, white flour and how your body will be the happiest it has ever been. I believe it, every word. To celebrate, I had a 100% Vegan Day (I think) but, I won't do it forever, 'cause the hubby doesn't think it's as grand as I do. Ah well, compromise!

Breakfast:

home cooked oats with rice milk, cinnamon, flaxseeal, almonds, raisins, banana, mixed berries

Snack:

huge organic apple + some baby carrots

Lunch:

Okay, okay, I love eating outside. It's so darn peaceful I can hardly stand it. Inside the sammich: almond butter, cinnamon, raisins. In the mini tuppers: cucumber, carrots, celery, kiwi, grapes + a huge orange for "dessert".

Workout: 5 mi - 45:53 elliptical + 15 mins abs/push ups

Love this 2 page spread from Woman's Health magazine: The Perfect Pushup. Long story short: I had never been able to do a perfect push up, ever, and now I can do 12 awkward ones, but I look like I'm dying while doing it. So I started at level 1 today, on the knees. I did 15 "perfect" ones and, when I'm ready, will move to level 2. Oh push up with a huge ball, you seem so far away. Some day... some day...

Snack:

I read pages 1-35 on the elliptical! Seriously, I felt like I had only been going for like 10 minutes, and I was already at mile 4! Reading: the best distraction ever! If only I could read while running... hmm....

Dinner:

Asparagus topped with some of this delicious baby (go to bragg's website for free samples! They're fantastic + organic + tasty magnificent!)

Quinoa Tabouleh = amazing. Quinoa and cucumber, red bell pepper, green onion, lime juice, olive oil, dash of salt, gosh. (recipe here @ Runner's World's website) Enjoyed with home cooked pinto beans (and diced serrano chili up in there) This was such a delicious meal, and filling, yet light. I felt awesome inside.

Then I snatched one of these fellas:

Dates: nature's candy (that and strawberries, yo! and frozen blueberries, and bananas... and apples... and peaches... shoot!)

Dessert:

Raw oats, soy milk, cinnamon, blueberries + raspberries, and a dash o' muesli for good measure. Dude: I now know what a serving of oats is only 1/4 cup. I usually do 1/2 cup and a little muesli, but this time I went kind of overboard - and man, I'm so full right now. I think I might need to add an extra hour to my run tomorrow so my body will know what to do with all the oats in my body right now. Ah, well.

My belly full of delicious oats makes me sleepy....
Goodbye, lovely meatless (dairy-less?) day.
I could definitely get used to this. Convince hubby?

2 comments:

  1. I have heard good things about that book, but I just love cheese so much. Cow's milk i can go without (and do most of the time), but cheese?! Too hard! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mnmm i LOVE cheese.. dunno if I could go without steak either...

    ReplyDelete