May 28, 2010

Veggie Loving Pasta Primeravera

It's Friday! I'm so happy, Fridays are so needed sometimes. I feel like if I had to work with a bunch of toddlers for only one more day, I might just pass out.. 5 days is plenty, thank you. So last weekend I bought a yellow squash for the first time evah (organic, that is!) and I found this amazing veggie-packed recipe that I called for a little squash :)

I pulled the recipe from allrecipes.com, and after tweaking the recipe a bit, here's what I ended up with (completely amaaazing pasta is what I came up with, yo!)

"Love Veggies" Pasta Primavera:


Ingredients:
  • 1 yellow squash
  • 5 asparagus spears
  • 2-4 tomatoes
  • 3 carrot stalks
  • red bell pepper
  • zucchini + green beans (I didn't have any, so I omitted these)
  • whole wheat pasta
  • olive oil
  • garlic + onion
  • parsley, + basil
  • italian seasoning
  • balsamic or red wine vinegar
  • lemon/lime juice + zest
  • dash o' salt n peppah
  • your favorite pasta-loving cheese (I used a little bit of Parmesan)
  • raw spinach, cut into skinny strips
Do it this way:
  1. Preheat oven to 450* line baking sheet with foil
  2. Place water in pot, bring to boil, add pasta
  3. Dice up veggies, toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, italian seasoning, nice squeeze of lime juice
  4. Place nicely coated veggies onto baking sheet, roast until tender (about 15 mins)
  5. Heat nicely sized pot with olive oil + add garlic, onion (I used dried)
  6. Mix in cooked pasta, lemon zest, basil, parsley, and vinegar.
  7. Gently toss and cook until heated through.
  8. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl (or huge tupperware for next-day eats!)
  9. Toss with roasted vegetables and sprinkle with *your fav* pasta cheese
  10. Add raw spinach on top, mix it all up, it adds extra greens!












Ah, this was the most delicious pasta I have ever had in my life. I am not even exaggerating a little tiny bit. 100% best pasta, ever. No boundaries with the veggies, either. This is huge! Ah, well, I also ate some other delights today:

Breakfast:

1/2 cup raw oats + 1/4 cup muesli + cinnamon + flaxseed meal + raisins + almonds + banana + organic rice milk :)

Snack:

Love this 8am snack, hasn't gotten boring yet!

Lunch:

Almond butter + cinnamon + raisin sandwich with all those colorful goodies, and some raisins + almonds, since we ran out of cucumber + celery and I had room in mr. tupperware!

Workout: 5 mi - 49:43 elliptical + 15 mins abs/weights ~ Fridays are usually my chill 5K run/walk days with my favorite sister ever, but it was raining like insanely world record type rain all afternoon so we skipped out + I headed to the gym. I took it slow, though, 'cause I have to prepare myself for my long Saturday morning run - hoping to keep my 10.25K time under 58 mins!

Then I ate this again:

1 nanner, almonds, raisins, cinnamon. Yes.

Dinner:

Pasta Primavera + a huge side of home-cooked pinto beans + steamed cauliflower all diced up + seasoned with paprika. I seriously ate only half the bowl, it was so filling! Didn't really need it, but felt the need to empty the fridge (bad excuse for eating more than one needs!)


It was love, pure love.

Friday night happy face:

1 organic apple, yogurt, cinnamon, raw oats, frozen berries. My favorite.

I'm off to research why my foot falls asleep when I'm finishing up my elliptical work outs - what's that all about? And maybe I'll look up some fancy recipes for next week's dinner menu! Woah, guess who almost forgot that she has a 3 day weekend?? Party over here? Sounds good.

Happy weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I love light pastas like that! The veggies and lemon juice really add to the flavor- amazing! And I totally want to try your nanner, almonds, raisins, cinnamon snack. Hooray for the three day weekend- I am SO in need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that pasta dish looks AWESOME! I'll give you my address if there's leftovers.. ;)

    ReplyDelete