May 7, 2010

Whole Wheat Applesauce Bread

Happy Friday! Wanna know what happened last night in the kitchen world? Here it is:

What: 4 apples from my folks house, about to go bad (ish)
Idea: homemade applesauce to use for baking, of course!
Google: I looked up "applesauce as a substitute" and read how, since it's so watery, it isn't ideal for baking anything except muffins, since it's very water-based.
Mood: sad. I was hoping to make cookies
Re-Google: Applesauce bread

Problem: Everyone uses like 8 sticks of butter
3rd Google: Butter-free applesauce bread
Solution: Dairy, Egg, and Nut Free Applesauce Bread (recipe) (except I definitely added almonds! No nut allergies here!)

Ingredients:
  • 1 c. granulated sugar (I ommitted this, since my homemade applesauce had 1/4 cup brown sugar)

  • 2 T. water

  • 1/2 c. vegetable oil

  • 1/6 c. soy or rice milk

  • 2 c. homemade applesauce

  • 2 c. whole wheat purpose flour

  • 1 1/4 tsp. baking soda

  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder

  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

  • 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg (had none, skipped it!)

  • 1/4 c. raisins

  • handful chopped almonds

  • 1/2 T. salt
Guess who added 2 cups water instead of 2 tablespoons? Me.
So. I baked it for 1 hr, still uncooked. Then 20 more minutes, still - no dry knife. Then 20 more minutes, and yet, not cooked. Then I realized I can't read or measure h2o and felt terribly sad. But guess what?!?!


(Today's post-run snack) the bread totally set and although has too much water in it, became a super moist, dense, thick (all in a good way) type of bread with mass flavor! But it's so stinkin' filling! I ate 2 piece that size and felt like I had eaten an entire dinner. So I had to wait like an hour before actually eating dinner, which I really, really, wanted. I recommend this recipe for anyone who doesn't mind giving up a few juicy, raw, fresh apples in order to make a homemade applesauce! This bread is fantastico!

1 comment: