June 3, 2010

Black Bean Brownies

I just took the last bite of my very first black bean brownie. The chocolate flavor is still settling in my mouth. I want it to never leave, I'd like it to be part of my life forever. & today I ate greek yogurt for the first time evah! Today was nice.


Brownies are best friends. Eat one!

I saw these guys on a few girls' blogs, and really wanted to know if they tasted nothing like beans or not. I was skeptical, for real! Here's the recipe, thanks to Heidi at 101cookbooks.com:

Amazing Black Bean Brownie Recipe

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups soft-cooked black beans, drained well (hs: canned is fine)
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
¼ cup (granulated) natural coffee substitute (or instant coffee, for gluten-sensitive)
¼ teaspoon sea salt
4 large eggs
1½ cups light agave nectar

  1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line an 11- by 18-inch (rimmed) baking pan (hs note: or jellyroll pan) with parchment paper and lightly oil with canola oil spray.
  2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl in the microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on high. Stir with a spoon to melt the chocolate completely. Place the beans, 1/2 cup of the walnuts, the vanilla extract, and a couple of spoonfuls of the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Blend about 2 minutes, or until smooth. The batter should be thick and the beans smooth. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, mix together the remaining 1/2 cup walnuts, remaining melted chocolate mixture, coffee substitute, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
  4. In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer beat the eggs until light and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the agave nectar and beat well. Set aside.
  5. Add the bean/chocolate mixture to the coffee/chocolate mixture. Stir until blended well.
  6. Add the egg mixture, reserving about 1/2 cup. Mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1/2 cup egg mixture until light and fluffy. Drizzle over the brownie batter. Use a wooden toothpick to pull the egg mixture through the batter, creating a marbled effect. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the brownies are set. Let cool in the pan completely before cutting into squares. (They will be soft until refrigerated.)

Makes 45 (2-inch) brownies.

Changes I made:
unsweetened cocoa powder, taking away mucho saturated fat :)
oil instead of butter (simply because we don't buy buttah)
almonds (raw, unsalted)
no coffee
cut the recipe in half, since I don't trust myself with a huge batch of 45 brownies

They were the most delicious brownies I have ever tasted and they were made of black beans! This is crazy! I probably won't make 'em very often, simply because I felt bad using up all our almonds + so much agave. But they were the best baked-good I have ever put together (thank you, food processor!)

Before the brownie celebration in my mouth, I ate these guys:

Breakfast:

rice milk, 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup muesli, cinnamon, flaxseed meal, almonds, raisins, banana

Snack:

orange orange orange


organic apple - little... soft... but good.

Lunch:

Best lunch I've ever brought to work! We were low on bread, so I opted for a spinach pancake (buy these beauties at Costco!) salad with: 2 spinach pancakes, red bell, zucchini, cucumber + spinach with some carrots and mustard on top.

enjoyed with one of our last slices of honey whole wheat bread.

Workout: 6 miles - 58:37 elliptical + 15 mins abs/weights [ab workout 100% inspired by Run Sarah and her fab. blog!!]
  • 90 seconds plank
  • 20 crunches
  • 20 bicycles
  • 20 reverse crunches
  • 20 straight leg crunches
  • 20 crunches on exercise ball
  • 20 vertical leg crunches
  • 15 modified push ups
  • weights
Post-workout fuel:

My friend! Banana, cinnamon, raisins, almond butter.

Dinner:

Quinoa stir-fry (my own soy sauce) with zucchini, broccoli, red bell pepper + potato with a side of spicy homecooked pinto beans.

yummy!! So filling + veggie packed!

Dessert:

I seriously made this last like 10 minutes. Itty bitty bites in slow motion helped me enjoy this little guy to extreme levels. So moist, rich, chocolate-bomb like. I will now give the rest to the world - a brownie, made of beans? This is huge.

First time! Greek Yogurt:

Dinner + brownie were at 5pm, so when my stomach started growling I grabbed my first Greek Yogurt + mixed it up with cinnamon, then topped it with raw oats, frozen berries, and raw almonds. It was so good! Tasted kind of like sour cream... but has 0g saturated fat and just tasted really stinkin' healthy. If only they sold huge organic versions of it at Costco...

I can't believe tomorrow is Friday! It feels like the week isn't even half over yet. This is so weird (and amaaazing!)!!

PS: I might be slightly allergic to gluten.
I will now research, and give myself a diagnosis.
Stink!

1 comment:

  1. So glad I could inspire your workout girl - awesome speedy run, too! I love black bean brownies but my hubby doesn't so I freeze them into individual squares. Love your quinoa combo, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete