July 14, 2010

First Time: Edamame

Shout it from the roof tops...
[I] Eat foods that come out of the ground, not out of a science lab.
Eat the rainbow, eat plants, eat nature.
Fruits, veggies, whole grains, nature's sweet stuff.
  1. Oats, almonds, banana, chia seeds, blueberries, raisins, vanilla, rice milk, cinnamon.
  2. Peach, carrots.
  3. Spinach, garbanzos, celery, avocado, grapes, kiwi, orange, wheat, honey.
  4. Oats, edamame, seitan, red wine vinegar, rice vinegar, homemade salsa
  5. Wheat, almond butter, cinnamon, raisins, banana
  6. Yogurt, strawberries, agave, muesli, homemade granola, flaxseed, pumpkin seed.








Dinner was rushed. Locked keys in car on lunch break. Ride home from work with hubby. Invent dinner in 60 seconds for self. Return to work with hubby. Drive self home. Eat power toast to make up for dinner fail. Go to second job. Blog.

A friend once told me that you can substitute the grain in a stir fry with oats, I laughed and thought it sounded fantastic, but never thought I'd do it (I love oats. Oats are for breakfast and dessert. Oats do not want soy sauce on them.) and, this afternoon, as I fly my fingers through my recipe notebook, I read "Stir Fry with Edamame". Today was my first time: edamame day, so it made sense. But, a grain? Brown rice needs a good 30 mins, quinoa needs 20, pasta needs who knows. I thought of oats. I did oats. I added seitan, the vinegars, garbanzos, edamame + such hoping for a great dish.

It smelled silly.
It tasted silly.
I felt silly inside.
I ate power toast.

2 comments:

  1. Awwr! You didn't like savory oats? I absolutely love them! Sometimes I just crave the flakey texture of oats, but I want a savory dish. I've never used them in a stir fry, though, so I don't know what I'd think about them then... My favorite way to have them is with bits of broccoli mixed in, then topped with pasta sauce, hummus, and with a runny fried egg alongside. Mmm. Now I'm hungry...

    As for edamame, I tried to like it... I really did... but it just didn't work out between the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still reluctant to try the savoury oats combo - I just can't wrap my head around it!

    ReplyDelete