July 22, 2010

Italian Edamame

I'm so awfully sad.
Business trips are rough.
Hubby leaving casa is hard.
Weekends without best friend?
Why even have a weekend? Let's skip to Wednesday.

Lovely Strawberry Banana Overnight Oats

3/4 cup oats, 1 cup rice milk, cinnamon, vanilla, raisins, almonds, chia seeds!
topped with muesli, chia seeds, wheat germ and love.
This baby holds me over for hours every stinkin' time.

Orange + Red

half apple. whole orange. lots of carrots.

Pinto Bean Oat Burgers

Pinto Bean Oat Burger -recipe here-
atop spinach, with homemade guac
(1/4 avocado, green onion, lime juice, salt, hubby's green salsa)


Kiwi Friend:

Diced. Hairy.

We Cooked Cinnamon Rolls @ Daycare

They had white flour, sugar, and other things.
I was proud, 'cause I had never made cinnamon rolls before! It was fun, but I didn't care to eat one. They were for the kiddos and their tummies :)

Painful (glorious) Run: 10K (6.2mi) - 59:06 + 15 min. weights
After I finished, I could hardly walk. What hurts now? My right knee and left hip. It's sad, I really am in love with running, but I'm sick of getting injured so much! I think it's my shoes, I've had 'em for over a year and they've been tracking down a nice # of miles. Time for new kicks!
  • Chest Supported Row - 3x12 (30lbs)
  • Biceps Curl - 3x10 (20lbs)
  • Triceps Press Down - 3x12 (30lbs)
  • Bench Press - 3x10 (20lbs)
  • 20 crunches
  • 15 reverse curls
  • 20 bicycle crunches
  • 3 sets of 15-20 reps of other ab exercises that I don't know the names of. Snap!

Dinner Rolls:
Italian Edamame Recipe
(frame Shape magazine!)

wrapped in rice paper
served with sweet n sour peanut sauce (Avery's blog!)
and homecooked pinto beans w/avocado.

Ingredients for your Italian edamame recipe
From Shape Magazine (dot) com!

  • 2 medium zucchini (about 1 pound total), ends trimmed (I omitted this for lack of zucchini in my house)
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 ¾ cup chopped onion (I used green onion 'cause it's rockin' good)
  • 1 ¾ cup diced red bell pepper (green bell!)
  • 16 oz. edamame, shelled
  • 2 cups canned diced tomatoes with Italian herbs (2 whole fresh tomatoes, diced)
  • ¾ cup orange juice (didn't use)
  • ½ cup chopped fresh basil (dry basil)
  • 2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice
  • Basil and orange slices for garnish (syke!)

Italian edamame recipe directions

  1. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise; cut across to make ¼-inch slices. Set aside.
  2. Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan or wok over medium-low heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
  3. Add onion to pan. Cook 2 minutes or until pieces begin to soften. Add bell pepper, zucchini, and edamame; stir and cook for 2 minutes.
  4. Strain tomatoes, reserving juice (about 1 cup). Combine solid tomato chunks with vegetable mixture and stir.
  5. Whisk together reserved tomato and orange juice; pour over vegetables. Turn heat to low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Add basil and toss together.
  6. Spoon ½ cup rice on each plate. Top with 1 1½ cups edamame mixture. To spruce up your edamame recipe, garnish with additional basil sprigs and orange slices, if desired.

"Who said healthy eating had to be boring? Soybean recipes, like this edamame recipe, are easy and tasty ways to share a balanced healthy diet with family and even when entertaining friends!" - Oh Shape, you're goofy!


delicious.

Time to hug my hubby 'till my arms fall off.
Don't goooo...!

God is good. We have jobs. This is a blessing.
Be strong, Nicole! :D

3 comments:

  1. =O Didn't care for a cinnamon roll?! Girl, you crazy! It's been a while since I've had one, but I don't think I could make one and not eat it; that's like torture. I think I have to start searching for a healthy cinna-bun recipe, because now you've totally got me craving one. Grrr!

    But aww, your first paragraph broke my heart! It sucks that your hubby has to travel and be away so much, but it makes the times he's around even more special, right? At least you get to love him them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The edamame rolls look amazing, I need to find where to buy pre-shelled edamame. So sorry to hear about the business trip - I hate when me and my hubs are away from each other too, time seems to drag on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you and your hubby are SO cute!

    i hope one day i snag a good guy like that... does he have a brother!?? :)
    -r

    ReplyDelete