July 29, 2010

Hemp Milk

My running shoes have 1,400 KM on them.
My knees started bothering me lately.
I got new kicks.

New, Old, Oldest:



Adidas Salvation 2, you're lookin' pretty good!


Freshly vacuumed carpet, aw.

Hemp Milk Oats:

I used the microwave. Oh wheat germ, you're my favorite. This was way too much food. I almost exploded. 3/4 cup oats + that much fruit and almond butter = full for the rest of the day? And the day after? Not so much, but pretty close. PS: Hemp milk looks like soy milk, a hint of brown color, but tastes good n thick in cereal. By itself? I'll let you know how that tastes. :)

Froot:


Elementary School Collages:

"Cut out your favorite things and glue them!" I said, as I threw magazines in front of them. It kept them going for almost a full hour. 8 year old boys + car magazines = success.

Rain:

My purple + blue rendition. I called it Vanilla Clusters, 'cause I liked the font on the Honey Bunches of Oats ad. And who could just ignore that weird looking... creature? I fell in wuv.

Lunch:

avocado, cucumber, greens, mustard sammie.
chunky almond butter cinnamon "hummus" [from Brit!]

Friendship:


Workout + Dinner:
Today, I road on a stationary bike for 1 hour. It was on the hills setting. It was indeed quite hilly. Then I made a Vegan "meat" loaf. Except, it had no meat, or meat substitute, for that matter. I grabbed the recipe off Sarah's lovely blog. Cashew Rice Loaf? Sounds delish! But, I had no cashews... and didn't want to use up the small amount of almond milk we have, so I used hemp milk. That's a silly liquid, I tell ya.


I tried to read a runner's book in espanol, but my sweat fell on it so I shut it.


HILLS! HILLLLS! Hard: 3 minute warm-up at easy speed, then 1 minute hills, 1 minute rest for the next 50+ minutes. I had the speed on 10, and that ended up being the tallest hill, every 5 minutes or so. It was intense, and a little awkward. I have no idea how to sit correctly on one of those things. But I do, however, have a pretty good idea of how to sweat intensely on them.

Vegan Almond Loaf:
I cut Sarah's recipe in half, and substituted some ingredients.
  • 1.5 slices whole wheat bread
  • 1 cup brown rice
  • 1/2 cup almonds
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1/2 cup hemp milk
  • 1 tbsp "soy sauce" (I make my own with red wine vin, rice vin, red pepper flakes, salt, peppah, garlic)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp garlic, parsley, oregano
  • 1 handful diced carrots
  • 2 tbsp edamame
  1. Preheat oven to 350*
  2. Food process the bread, almonds (or cashews!), onion
  3. Mix in wet ingredients, spices, and rice
  4. Mix in veggies
  5. Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray, pack in the "loaf"
  6. Bake for 50-60 mins, leave uncovered for the extra crunch!







I ate my loaf with leftover roasted heaven (blue potato, yellow potato, squash, tomato)

Off to research more Farmer's Markets!
(IE: my favorite home away from home)

tomorrow is friday.

4 comments:

  1. "Vanilla Clusters" - - I like it!! hehe. Sounds like a fun project. I always loved collaging in elem. school. Heck, who am I kidding. I loved it in high school, too!
    The almond loaf looks delicious!! A definite save :)
    Happy Friday! Ooh - and enjoy the new shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo I love collages! They were so much fun in elementary school, and I remember even making them to decorate my binders/notebooks in high school and what not. I've just recently started cutting out pictures/articles/recipes from my health and fitness magazines, and I plan on making a special notebook of collages with those, because there's some good stuff in there, but I never really look through old magazines. Plus, scissors and glue stick in hand is just fuuuuun :)

    Girlll, savory oats... try them! I'm serious. But then again, here I am talking them up so much, and what happens if you won't like them? Eep! But you will. They're too delicious not to like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh...the loaf sounds wonderful...I love nuts, but have never had them in the form of a loaf. I've never tried hemp milk before, bc they're so expensive! Are they actually worth the price, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked the loaf - your version looks great! I tried hemp protein powder once and hated it, so have been scared to try hemp milk!

    ReplyDelete