July 23, 2010

Veggie Pasta with Tempeh

Wait, wait. Before I jump into the day. Look what I just bought:

Soba buckwheat noodles, almond milk, hemp milk, wheat gluten, and whole wheat flour.
Here's the coolest part:
The Vital Wheat Gluten (I want to make homemade seitan!) costs $7 per lb if you buy the Bob's Redmill bag (not to hate on Bob - best products ever!). I got mine in the bulk section for $2.87/lb. Isn't that amazing?! Well, I thought it was. And the Whole Wheat Flour costs $4 for 1.5 lbs and I got the same amount for $1. Oh gosh. Why did I never look at that bulk section before? Beautiful!

4am Breakfast:


  • 3/4 cup muesli
  • cinnamon
  • banana
  • wheat germ
  • chia seeds (that I may have accidentally poured straight from the bag, causing me to consume about 3 cups of it)
  • rice milks
Sweet, Sad Goodbyes:

Cutest system engineer I've ever set eyes on.
Miss you, mi osito Edu!

Hubby's Leftover Oats:

consumed for mid-morning snack (muesli + kashi golean) with a banana, half a huge apple, cinnamon + a microwave.

Lunch:

Remember when I overdosed on chia seeds in the morning? Shame. I may or may not have filled my sandwich with those guys last night. Dude! We're out of raisins. I needed something in there to hang out with the almond butter + cinnamon.

Daycare Kids Made Apple Crisp:

I'm seriously loving this baking deal I'm doing with the kids at work. They get so excited + flip out with joy when they eat the finished product. Shoot, son, they made it! So awesome!

I am Nectarine:

Can I eat these forever?

Workout: 5 mi - 48:26 elliptical + 15 mins weights/abs
Guess who will now cross train for the next 4 years so their knee + hip heal in order for them to run again? Me. We found out that the injuries might be because my shoes have run 1,200 KM since last September. September will be their first birthday. I feel like they didn't last that long. Can I pretend I'm elite now? And by a new pair of Adidas every 5 months? Yay!
  • Biceps Curl 20lb - 3x12
  • Butterfly 20lb - 3x10
  • Triceps Extension 10lb weight - 3x10
  • Lat Pull 20lb - 3x12
  • Leg Extension 20lb - 3x12 (killer today!)
  • 20 crunches, bicycle, reverse crunches, vertical leg crunch, 100s
Fuel:

Honey Whole Wheat bread toasted, almond buttah, 1/4 apple, cinnamons mons mons.

Fantastic Pasta Dinner!


[Ingredients]
  • 1 1/2 handfuls whole wheat pasta
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 1 cup tempeh (ish) cut into strips
  • 1/4 cup green bell pepper, cut into strips
  • 2 tablespoons homemade salsa (or a diced chili pepper!)
  • 1 green onion, diced (with white)
  • italian seasoning
  • salt
  • olive oil
[Directions]
  1. Bring pot of water (with garlic clove + dash of salt) to a boil
  2. Add pasta and cook al dente
  3. Heat a small sauce pan on med/high heat, add olive oil
  4. Brown tempeh in olive oil, season with italian seasoning
  5. Once tempeh is golden, add tomatoes, salsa, onion, and bell pepper
  6. Coat tempeh well with the colorful "sauce" and bring heat down to low
  7. Once pasta is cooked, discard garlic (or blend it into sauce!) and combine with sauce
  8. Consume with a smile on your face, you're eating pasta. Pasta is amazing.


Hubby returns on Tuesday! It's almost here!

Riight??

Tomorrow: My first ever visit to a Farmer's Market :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm kind of jealous that you get to do so much baking with the kids! I love to bake, but I can only eat so many baked goodies on my own, which means I'm not able to bake as much as I'd like without the threat of my freezer exploding with muffins/cookies/loaves. Boo. Clearly, I need some kids... or a bakery. Whichever comes first.

    It's almost Tuesday! Just hang in there ;) And hope you have an awesome time at the market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww sorry about your boo leaving!! It will fly tho :) you are keeping yourself busy! Have SO MUCH FUN with your parents!! I always treasure the time i have with them! Hang in there.. God is keeping yall together at heart! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are keeping busy - Tues will come fast! I need to check out the bulk bins for the vital wheat gluten, thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete