August 2, 2010

Beautiful Fluffy Bread, Awful Seitan

A Bread Song:

Once upon a time, my hubby asked me to make us bread.
"We wouldn't have to buy it anymore," he said.
I thought, "that's true, maybe it's something I can do."

I emailed my bread-making aunt whom I love much,
I asked for her recipe, and her magic touch.
I measured ingredients, didn't leave out a thing.
Once I saw the dough rise, I started to sing!



Punched it in the face, like all tell me to do...



Loved the look of that loaf, look much how it grew!



The recipe said, "45 minutes, not a second less"
But after 20, it looked at its best..



My nerves took over, I got worried, and stressed...
I put it back in the oven, for 10 minutes, no less.

It turned darker than most, but no judging here.
The next morning I saw, the bread's beauty was clear.



Fluffy, whole wheat, full of love and dark-crusted joy,
I'm hesitant to admit, I enjoyed it more than bok choi.


"Fluff."

Awful Seitan
dun dun dunnnnn!!!


Based off of Sarah's flawless recipe:
  • 1 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (syke! I used 1/4 cup normal bread yeast. I'm so smart. I guess the inner child in me wanted to watch seitan grow at rapid speeds and burst through its aluminum foil, all so I could throw it away in the end. Boo..)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 3/4 cups water
  • 4 tbsp tomato paste (use unsweetened ketchup, no one will ever know!)
  • 1 tbsp light soy sauce (my own mix)
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce (olive oil?)
  • 2 tbsp Annie’s Worcestershire sauce (omitted)



"I look so good"


"I look like bread, bursting out of foil"


"I'm squishy"


"She re-wrapped me"


"She thought I wouldn't grow anymore? ha ha ha"


"I pushed mai way out of that foil"


"I can't stand how attractive I am"


"She tried saving me? Ha! Edible? No way"

END: I'm probably the best cook ever.

Today went down pretty well,
even after last night's baking fail:

oats, chias, wheat germ, wheat berries, berries, almond butter, almonds (repetition?), half banana, raisins, rice milks.

Glorious August:

you are my sunshine, my only sunshine...





Elliptical: 8K - 46:03 (my 5 mile record on that machine!)
+ abs/arm weights

Gift:

Oh bread pictures, so gorgeous.


Half eaten buddies, hanging out with the dried grapes.

Spinach Rice Gratin:

thank you, thank you, Heidi!
  • 1 cup leftover/pre-cooked brown rice, room temp
  • 1 cup well finely chopped spinach
  • 2 oz tofu [or seitan (obviously, omitted)]
  • 1 green onion, diced
  • 1 handful almonds, toasted
  • 3/4 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 dash salt

mix + bake on 400* for 30 minutes.

Oh my gosh, this recipe was such a hit! Delicious and full of awesome flavors, definitely a keeper. Same with the green beans. I should add those into the gratin. Dude.

Green beans + beet greens from Farmer's Market, seitan that tasted like awkward wet bread yeast something or other. At least I tried it, right? Ah, I will re-try that recipe soon, I promise.

Happy tummy:

yogurt, rice milk, frozen strawberries, banana, ice


homemade granola, carrot oatmeal cookies.

I'm so excited for tomorrow.
God is Amazing, I'm leaving it in His hands!

news tomorrow, maybe. ;)

3 comments:

  1. oooh - this rice dish looks fantastic. I would love to try it with bulgur. Hmmm - tonight?
    The bread looks delicious. I am convinced that making good bread just has to do with following the recipe until you "find your ground," something I struggle with, haha. I have a couple really good-sounding King Arthur recipes, though. Maybe I'll give it another go?
    And the seitan - isn't it crazy how they grow?! Was this a recipe for seitan sausage?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh my. I'm in LOVE with that bread! And totally impressed. Although I'm not the biggest fan of bread, I do love a good homemade loaf, but no one around here is willing to make one for me :( I've been wanting to do it for so long now, but working with yeast totally intimidates me... I've never done it before, so there just seems like so many places that I could screw things up and end up with a rock loaf or something. I guess I'm going to have to find a good recipe and just go for it. What's the worst that can happen, right? ;)

    I love how you're always making such delicious things in the kitchen! I've been in kind of a rut lately, constantly rotating between basically the same meals, and you're really tempting me to try out something new :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh i LOVE you. i want to come and live with you and your hubby for a week and take notes on yalls relationship! hahaha. we are so lucky to have God fearing, Christ lead men in our lives!!!!

    Haha you are hilarious "im a really great cook btw" okay.. I THINK YOU ARE!! just saying!

    love you!

    ReplyDelete