August 21, 2010

Jicama + Loaded Pizza

Such a happy Saturday! Very relaxing, very delicious eating, and now, at 10pm, I have a loaf of bread baking. I love weekends.

AM eats:



2 spoonfuls of this fella for exercise power!

Packed:

bananas, oranges, overnight (3 hr) oats, carrot oat cookies!

Liquid:

H2o for me, frozen Gatorade for the 15 mile runner that I love! The Gatorade waits for hubby as he does his laps at the lake, and is super cold + still contains a bit of ice once he's ready for fuel. He's such a smart man to think of freezing this fellas! Cold fuel = good fuel.

Workout: 25 min strength training + 40 min walk (3miles)
Legs:
  • 20 lunges
  • 20 reverse lunges
  • 25 squats
  • 20 side lunges
Abs:
  • 20 crunches
  • 20 straight leg reverse crunches
  • 20 bicycle crunches
  • 20 finger-toe touches
  • 20 side taps
  • 20 straight leg toe reach
  • 60 secs. plank
Arms:
  • 12 push-ups
  • 12 modified push ups
Glutes/Legs:
  • 20 glute kickbacks
  • 20 lying bridge with leg lifts each leg
Level 2?
  • 40 lunges alternating legs
  • 20 reverse lunges
  • 25 squats
  • 20 toe/finger touch crunches
  • 20 modified push ups
  • 20 flutter kick oblique crunches
  • 20 scissor kicks
  • 20 lying oblique leg raises
  • 20 glute kickbacks
Yoga Stretch:
  • ...the names are just goofy, so let's just say I got a good ol' stretch ;)
Weee ateee:

rice milk, rolled oats, chia seeds, almonds, raisins, cinnamon.


Fab. orange + green banana. Too green to eat, but I tried. It's sitting on my kitchen counter, with a bite missing, and I'm hoping it'll be ready soon. Stinkin' bananas...

JICAMA!

Finally bought this jicama! I've been wanting to try it forever and was planning on making a raw salad with it, or adding it to other veggies in a spring roll, but it lived in my house so long that it went slightly bad (wee green spots on the skin... let's ignore them...) and hubby diced it, added lime juice and red pepper flakes and handed me a few slices. It's flavor wasn't very powerful, it's nice and subtle and cold and crisp, almost like an apple.. But I think if I buy one of these guys again I will definitely add it to a spring roll. The crunch is crazy good!

Fruit + Veggie land:

*this doesn't include Costco!*
I think I'm a little peach/nectarine crazy. But why is that a bad thing?
  • Radishes
  • Red bell pepper
  • Pink Lady apples
  • Grapes
  • Cauliflower
  • Pears
  • Nectarines
  • White peaches
  • Fuzzy peaches
  • Sweet potato
  • Zucchini
  • Cucumbah
  • Broccoli
  • Eggplant! (so ready to try this amazing recipe!)
We shelled Peanuts:

It made our living room smell like fresh PB ;)

Pizza Toppings:

Brocc, bell pepper, beets, serrano chilis, carrot, spinach, tempeh (hubby tackled laughing cow cheese, whole food chicken dogs, and some leftover chicken I made the other day)

YES PLEASE:

Highlights:
Beets: soft, sweet, made everything under it pink.
Bell pepper: rich, perfectly cooked, delish.
Broccoli: roasted, slightly burnt, crisp, amaaazing.



Dessertz:

Pink Ice Cream
[for 2!]
  • 1.5 cups low-fat plain yogurt
  • 8 frozen strawberries
  • 5 ice cubes
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 1 tsp agave (for hubby's sweet tooth)

My bowls of goods can never escape their fate that is loads of toppings. Less is more? Yeah, I'm not there yet. Maybe next... month I'll bring it down a notch on the toppings. Maybe not.. check out those Kashi GoLean Balls! I love when we first open the bag and the huge clusters are hanging out on top. They're my faaavorite!

Time to check on my bread in the oven~ I might tackle making a whole wheat rye bread this week, I hope hope it turns out. If not, well, I'll add the rye flour to some pancake mix. Oh shoot, that would be glorious. I actually never liked rye as a kid (did I even try it? who knows, but my mom always had a loaf in the bread drawer and it scared me..) but all the sudden I want it. I blame this article from Runner's World mag that told me about rye bread being more filling + fiber-packed that whole wheat. Snap, do I really need more fiber in my life? I'd say sure! But my stomach might have a different answer...

PS: My hubby wants to buy kale next week (also because of RW's article saying it's better than spinach)! I'm excited/nervous! I tried it back in March 2009 while my co-workers put a Healthy Eating competition on and had us eat green foods and I much disliked its strong, bitter flavor. But ever since blogging land has appeared in my life, all I've seen are kale chips, massaged kale salads.. and I've been very tempted.

Can't. Stop. Typing. I should sleep.

4 comments:

  1. Your pizza looks so unbelievably good! I'm getting a huge hankering for pizza :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the simplicity of your workout. It just goes to show you that you dont need special equipment or a gym membership, just your body and some effort will get you a great workout! Those are my favorite kind because guess what? No matter WHERE you are you can do it!! It is a travel sized workout ;)
    I LOVE kale chips. I agree that kale by itself is a bit strong, but roasted with some garlic salt is OUT OF THIS WORLD :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i bet you will love kale chips when you give the another shot. it's all in the prep! kale chips are fantastic, and i love kale sauteed with apples, raisins, and some walnuts on top :)
    i have been sooo curious about jicama!! and glad you are giving eggplant another shot. i hope my recipe doesn't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like you're doing an amazing job getting in kickass workouts without running! Go you!

    ReplyDelete