August 12, 2010

Leftovers are Superheroes

Leftovers truly played a large role in my eats today. I love cooking dinner portions that are just enough for hubby + I, that way we don't feel like we have to eat huge plate-fulls just so nothing goes bad, and it forces me to be creative and make something new the following day. Today, though, I found myself with loads of leftovers (er, more like baby-sized loads) and they saved me much time, so I call them mini-heroes.

Quinoaaa!

I have to say, I'm a little happy that the breakfast quinoa is now all gone. I've missed the oats much so, and so has hubby, and quinoa can now make a come-back in the dinner category. Stir fries, here we come! This bowl was topped with love: frozen blueberries, wheat berries, almond butter, muesli, half a nanner, almonds. Leftover: quinoa, wheat berries

Not Leftovers:

ate those fellas throughout the work day.

Leftovah:

brown rice, roasted veggies, and not-leftover sweet potato "baked" in microwave and topped with pumpkin spice (darn daycare didn't have cinnamon! lame...) with some fresh zucchini.

a side...

they just didn't seem like they'd sit well with the warm plate, so were treated special on the side.

Workout: 4 miles - 36:57 elliptical + 15 min abs/weights
Pretty sure the knee pain is 100% gone! So thankful! Hubby says I should be ready to run on Saturday (an easy 5k, not 10k like the insane person inside of me would go for) and I'm pretty excited! And arm weights today = killed me! I should have done sets + reps, but I wasn't thinking right (gym distraction = awkward music + people that stare) so I did 4 moves (biceps, triceps, other ceps...) and did 20 reps of each, then repeated them all. It's slightly obvious that I'm a muscle movement newb, ya think?

Leftover? Delight in my tummy:

homemade breads, entire banana, cinnamon, raisins. oh gosssh good.

We Read:

Syke, more like glanced at one mini-article and then my bread was gone.

Leftovers!

The most divine plate of colorful mexican scramble I ever did meet. Topped with spinach, homemade salsa, and half a tomato. I'm a fan. PS: where's the protein? I need to make some seitan, or buy some tempeh, or cook up some garbanzos! For reals.


Oh, brown. Half a frozen banana, 1 cup rice milk, 3 ice cubes, frozen blueberries + strawberries + vanilla, then a huge handful of spinach. It was fantastic and freezing, topped with loads of oats! Fab.

Off to make more veggie patties + some hummus, yo! Oh, and study the human body in Spanish for my test in 2 weeks! Certified Medical Translator? Meh? We'll see!

~

The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous
and His ears are attentive to their cry.
Psalm 34:15


It's so comforting to know that God is listening, always!

3 comments:

  1. I have the same opinion on leftovers... I generally don't like to eat them because I get bored really easily, but sometimes I really hate spending too much time in the kitchen and then leftovers become little heroes :) I'm thinking that I'll especially love them when I start school again and life gets even more hectic. Who knows, maybe I'll even resort to vegan overnight oats using those little bugger chia seeds ;)

    And yes yes yes... the fact that God is always listening, and always there with me through all of my trials is one of the most comforting things, and knowing that has gotten me through many of life's hardships.

    Hope you're having a great night, hun! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like leftovers, but some leftovers are a drag...but others are awesome, like leftover rice, or leftover meatloaf, and leftover pasta...the flavor improves! :-)

    good luck on your test! I'm sure you'll do fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooove leftovers. I love to try to figure out how to rework them so they are different than the original meal.. makes a fun challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete