August 22, 2010

Open-Faced Black Bean Delight

Sunday, oh Sunday. Did you have to start off with a debilitating migraine? Did you need to take away all my early-morning fun by forcing me to look up home remedies for horrible headaches? Was it necessary to go and make me a dizzy, grumpy mess from seven to ten thirty? I don't think so. But, let me not forget how beautiful this mornings worship service was at church, or how impacting the sermon was. And Excedrin Migraine meds? Thank you for taking all the pain away, good pal.

Ice Cream

topped with wheat germ, wheat berries, grapes, almonds, kashi
  • 1/2 cup rice milk
  • 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 frozen banana, broken in half for blender's sake
  • 2 frozen strawberries
  • 1/2 handful of frozen blueberries
  • 2 huge handfuls spinach
Breads:

Delicious loaf, like always, thanks to my aunt's recipe :)

Garbanzos:

I eat these like pieces of candy, I love them in ways I can't describe. This week? They'll be made into Vegan Black Bean Burgers, hummus (please don't turn out crumbly this time!) and a lovely side dish with a veggie roasted dinner. Maybe.

Granola:


Store bought granola? Expensive fellas.
Rolled oats? Cheap-o + we can add whatever we want to 'em!
  • 4 cups rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup muesli
  • 3 tbsp. chia seeds
  • 4 hefty dashes of cinnamon
  • Bake 375* for 10-12 mins on baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil sprayed with non-stick goodness, let cool completely and crumble into a tupperware. It turns more and more crunchy as the days go by. Add to yogurt, oats, ice cream, cake, pizza? savory dishes? It's jus' real good.
Molletes

ie: Mexican open-faced black bean sammie?



toppings: onion, tomato, serrano chili, fresh cilantro, spinach + avocado

Made Some mo' Beans:

black beans. cook 'em in a pressure cooker with salt, onion, garlic + water. discard onion + garlic once beans are cooked. add splash of olive oil to pan, medium heat. add beanies, mash, throw in serrano chilis (2). Consume.

Cookie Land:

loooovviinng these carrot oatmeal cookies, for real: it tastes like a donut.

Dessert:

Banana Brownie Oats? Oh snap!
  • 1 banana, diced and mashed
  • 2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • few drops of pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1-2 splashes rice milk
  • Combine all, refrigerate for at least 1 hour
  • frozen blueberries, almonds, kashi, you know, add anything you want on top :)
That would be incredible as overnight bfast oats, in an I'm-Eating-Chocolate-Banana-Cake-For-Breakfast-Today kind of way.

~

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,
baptizing them in
the name of the Father and
of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
and teaching
them to obey everything I have commanded
you. And surely I am with you always, to the
very end of the age.”

Matthew 28:19-20

We're God's messengers, we carry His gospel with us wherever we go and we are told to share His amazing news with the entire world! Guess what that means? I (all believers) need to tell everyone we run into about Jesus Christ and His Love, His Word, and His Promise of eternal life. We have a huge responsibility on our hands, and sometimes it makes me nervous. I know it shouldn't, but I'm human and it's hard to step out of my comfort zone sometimes! Let's just do this! We have the Creator of this world on our side, we're in good hands. Aaaand... go!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you had a migraine to deal with this morning :( Looks and sounds like all was well once that issue was taken care of, though! I loove black beans and garbanzos, too.. in fact, i'm pretty excited to see you turn your garbanzos into black bean burgers :P i have never made my own hummus because i fear it will be far too inferior to the dreamy creaminess that is Cedar's brand, haha. i'll have to wait eagerly to see how you make out, though - if anyone can convince me to try it's you! and those cookies - hmph. one thing i wanted to make this weekend but didn't get to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMm homemade hummus is delicious and much cheaper than store bought! LOVE all your treats from today. The ice cream looks delicious and so does your brownie oat dessert!! I also LOVE making my own granola. I am making a batch soon since I am heading out of town. I dont go anywhere without it!! Who needs all the added sugar from store bought brands? Not us!!

    ReplyDelete