August 9, 2010

Quinoa for Breakfast

Waking up an hour later than I do on a regular Monday, with a 630am workout awaiting me, accompanied by my hubby... it's such a happy feeling. I'm not tired of waking up at 5am, it's been that way for years, but I do appreciate extra time with my man, especially working out by his side. Sweet thang!

Sweat: 30 mins eliptical - 3.25 miles
15 mins abs + arm weights
No knee pain! Run next week, maybe?

Quinoa Breakfast:

recipe thanks to Heidi :)
  • 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
  • 1 cup [rice] milk
  • 1 cup water
  • Cinnamon
  • Berries
  • Almonds
  • Raisins
  • Agave, or sweetener of choice
  1. Add quinoa, milk and water to a medium sauce pan.
  2. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to med-low
  3. Simmer for 15 minutes or so until liquid is absorbed
  4. Mix in cinnamon, almonds, raisins, and your favorite fruit
  5. Drizzle with agave, and eat the sweet bowl with a smile.

verdict: Delicious, warm, soft, fluffy. It's definitely not a bowl of oats, the texture is different, and quinoa has a nutty flavor that oats don't possess. I didn't dislike it, but I will switch back to oats once this (double load of) quinoa is finished up. Really though, top the quinoa with everyone you load your bowl of oats with, and you won't notice much of a difference.

My First Apricot:

I imagined it would taste like a peach, but was surprised at the dark seed in the center, and almost fell out of mai chair! Not true, I ate it happily, but I prefer myself a good nectarine over these guys.

Lunch Load:

consumed between 1:30-3:30, but mainly all at 1:30
almond butter, cinnamon + raisins will never get old.
Neither will kiwis...



Light Dinner:

Veggie spring rolls (spinach, carrot, bell pepper, green onion, swiss chard stems), purple beans that turn green when you steam 'em (rude!) + a nutty sauce of rice vinegar, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, and almond butter. Divine.

Sweet Quinoa x2:

I needed more grains in my life this evening, and they needed to be topped with frozen berries, banana slices, and homemade granola.

Cooking beans, making hubby's salsa, cooking dinner for tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. I think of quinoa as savoury but want to try it sweet - perhaps as a dessert! Your veg rolls look awesome, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had the perfect start and end to your day ;) I love how grains like this can be sweet AND savory - unfortunately, I tend to get stuck thinking they are one or the other all too often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's the texture of quinoa that mostly keeps me from enjoying it for breakfast. I really love the ooey-gooey-ness of oats, and I'm not sure I'd appreciate the crunchy quinoa. It's a wonderful little grain, but I think I prefer it as a savory dish like part of a cold salad, or stuffed into peppers. Still, I love how grains can be both savory or sweet... someone really needs to try making a sweet pasta one of these days ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you never had an apricot before!! I have been getting them in my farm share for weeks but never had a fresh one before that either. They are delish!

    ReplyDelete