August 4, 2010

Runners Knee

Rollercoaster type of day. Ups. Downs. Sideways.


overnight oats in rice milk, wheat berries, wheat germ, banana, cherries, frozen berries, almond butter.

Today started off quite sadly, I was again very sleepy when I got out of bed, and my mood was really down because my hubby was off to another business trip. But, I gave the day to God, and hoped for the best.


snackage during the work day.

Work went wonderfully - which is a huge blessing from God, 'cause I haven't had a super awesome day at work for a while. I worked in the potty-trainers class, which is full of all the 2-3 year olds that were once mine (I worked in toddler class for 2 years) and now they were all grown up. It turned out being the best day ever at work, those kids are so amazing! We did: yoga, bible verses, bear songs, races outside, water color painting. Sweet!


leftover quinoa stir fry from yesterday with a veggie pattie on top + check out celery, cinnamon, almond butter!


orange, beet, peanut combo.

Then I got ready for my run...

I drove to the track to try and tackle running (after 13 days of cross-training 'cause of my knee + hip bothering my a couple weeks ago) and it was closed for construction...

I drove the to dry cleaners to pick up my hubby's shirts, and the lady said they weren't ready yet...

I drove home, unpacked my stuff, and went for a run outside, and at mile 4.5 my knee forced me to stop...

I haven't stopped mid-run in years. It felt lousy. I felt lousy. I had to walk, massage my knee, stretch, and sulk in my pity for the next half mile, while feeling self-conscious about the cars passing by, and my evil mind telling me "everyone just saw you stop. Meaning: they saw you fail."

The pain eventually stopped, so I tried to finish the 8K. I jogged, jogged some more, hey, no pain! jogged a little more, felt a little pain, jogged a tad bit more, and all the pain returned. I limped to the gym. I tackled .5 miles on the elliptical. I pretended to give myself a total time of 47:10 for my 8K (not including the 5 hour walking break). It makes me feel better to have a time, even if it was rocky and painful.

I've never felt this type of sadness before.
Make it go away.
Cure me.

I fed myself a green smoothie to take away the tears.


rice milk, ice, frozen strawberries, banana, spinach, beet leaves, vanilla

Helped a little.
But I think ice will help even more.
And maybe a little art to cheer me up a bit?

Cast all your anxiety on God because he cares for you.
1 Pet 5.7


1 hr later: Ice gave me the ability to walk after the pain,
but I'm still calling a sports physical therapist tomorrow.
And I applied kinesio below my knee.
Give me the ability to run! Injury free! Please?

Dinner was a delight:

hey beat, hey purple potato, hey green beans, hey tomatoes.



freshly cooked garbanzos, home cooked pinto beans, roasted veggies.

Loved. It.

Miss my best friend, miss my hubby. Miss the ability to run.

3 comments:

  1. Aww, hun :( I'm so sorry that you had such a lousy day, and it especially pains me to see you hurting so much because of your knee; not only physically, but mentally as well. I know how much it sucks not to be able to do something that you really love, but if you gave the day to God, and this happened, then maybe it's His way of sending you a little reminder to not allow something like running to become an idol in your life. God gave us a physical world to enjoy, but the spiritual world is more important, and we shouldn't get too attached to all of the earthly things. You're not a failure because you couldn't finish your run... you're a beautiful creation of God's with two strong legs that allow you to live your life. So cheer up, hun, and I know it's hard, but try to look on the bright side of everything <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are SURELY not a failure, girl - in fact, I think you're stronger for feeling the pain and NOT pushing through it, knowing you'll only do more damage. You didn't quit at all! You did the smart thing.
    I hope all goes well at your docs appointment tomorrow (er, today? I'm not sure! haha) and the day goes better. Chin up, everything happens for a reason, no matter how awful it may seem at the time. Maybe you'll find another love while your knee is recovering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hang in there girl!!!

    i usually find when stuff like this happens, god is looking down going "hey!!! can i have your attention for a quick second!?!?"

    love you beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete