September 1, 2010

Bulgur: A First Timer

Wednesday, Wednesday.

bfast:

overnight rice milk oats with the fixin's

snax:


lunch:

sad end pieces of the rye bread, almond butter/cinna/raisins combo.

Raw Carrot Cake Fail:

I saw 2 very ripe bananas, so I mashed 'em.
I grabbed a bag of carrots, and shredded them.
I added some oats, and mixed.
Cinnamon, nutmeg, a few squirts of honey,
and I got myself a large carrot-oat pizza pie.
I froze it, like a granola bar.

The next morning? An orange pizza covered in frost, so I cut it into triangles, and hoped one would defrost in time for an afternoon snack. but, the taste: indescribably tasteless! It has good texture: carrots, oats. Good aroma: cinnamon, nutmeg. But shoot, something was missing (raisins, chocolate pieces, almond butter, more oats, less carrot?!) but the only ingredients I had on hand were inside of a church's kitchen (ie: daycare land). Guess what? These large triangles will be used in a very lovely manner: smashed into overnight oats, in an oat-waffle batter, inside a blender, etc. I'm kind of excited for this frozen failure, my future is looking quite carrot-y. :)

Dinnah!

Recipe from here (thank you, google search on bulgur recipes!)
But o' course I added a little of me own flair.

I ate these:

while on the phone with Alaska Airlines, gettin' my hubby home early from his business trip! I wanted to enjoy these sweet potato fries with cinnamon/paprika with my bulgur eats, but hungry smacked me in the face and told me to eat them. So I did. Deliciouuus!


I tried eating only half, then leaving at least 5, then... devoured them all with some unsweetened ketchup from Whole Foods land.

Bulgur "Salad" with Garbanzos and Red Pepper

thank you, A Year in the Vegetarian Kitchen!

  • 3/4 cups fine-grain bulgur
  • 1.5 cups boiling water
  • 1.5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I used half a lime)
  • 1/2 teaspoon honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used chili powder and red pepper flakes)
  • 1/2 dash o' salt
  • 1 splash o' extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • 2 cups kale, washed, de-stemmed, cut into strips
  • 3/4 cup cooked garbanzos
  • 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/4 cup green onion, cut into tidbits
  • ~parsley~
  1. Place the bulgur in a large bowl. Add the boiling water and set aside, stirring occasionally, until the bulgur has softened, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain the bulgur, shaking the strainer and gently pressing out excess moisture. Return the bulgur to the bowl.
  2. Meanwhile, whisk the lemon juice, honey, cumin, cayenne, and 1/2 teaspoon salt together in a small bowl. Whisk in the oil until the dressing is smooth.
  3. Add the garbanzos, bell pepper, tomatoes, kale, green onion and parsley to the bowl with the drained bulgur and stir to combine. Drizzle the dressing over the bulgur mixture and toss to combine.
  4. Eat it or: warm a pan to medium heat, add the splash of olive oil and the bulgur mix, cover and let heat up real nice for a few minutes, moving occasionally. Eat when kale is nice and soft, tender, and super green. Fantastico.

It was, insanely divine. It lacked a little something and I couldn't figure it out. Maybe more lime juice? More spice? Homemade salsa? Avocado? Well, if my hubby doesn't care for it and leaves me some mo' leftovers, I'll give one of those toppings a try. PS: I LOVE BULGUR ! It tasted so soft and delightful! Definitely becoming a regular around here. That is...if I can find it in large, convenient bags at Costco er something!

Dessert in a mug:

I diced up a banana, and dropped two over-sized spoonfuls of yogurt on top. Then I thought: shoot son, why don't I just blend this guy? So I dropped it into the blender, with 4 frozen strawberries, 4 ice cubes, and half a carrot-oat-triangle and blended it. Perfect portion for a mug, and it hit the "dood I want food" spot at 7pm. I topped it with golden ground flaxseed, almonds, raisins, and muesli.

Wonderful.

3 comments:

  1. MMmmm dinner looks incredible!! I have yet to try bulger...is it like barley in any way? I lvoe the simplicity of the meal, so right up my alley!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm that bulgur salad looks awesome! I make something similar with couscous and I looooove it. It's great because you can add anything you want into it based on what you have in the kitchen/fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the bulgur salad, and the raw carrot cake. I bet some raisins or figs would have been bomb - but if you ask me, I'd rather make something that is lacking a little something or sweetness than have too much of it! Then there's no going back. I bet added to overnight oats or spread with a bit of peanut butter or something, they'll brighten right up. Hope the hubs has a smooth trip home!

    ReplyDelete