September 16, 2010

A First: Kale Chips

Oh kale,

Kale is considered to be a highly nutritious vegetable with powerful antioxidant properties; kale is considered to be anti-inflammatory. Kale is very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamic C, lutein, zeaxanthin and rich in calcium. Kale has anti-cancer properties. Boiling reduces the level of the anti-cancer compounds, but steaming, stir-frying + microwaving does not result in significant loss (blend it raw full full time insanity!) (wonder what happens to its anti-cancer compounds when it's baked at 350 degrees for 15 minutes?). Along with other brassica vegetables, kale is also a source of indole-3 carbinol, a chemical which boosts DNA repair in cells and appears to block the growth of cancer cells.

What is wikipedia trying to say? Bottom line: kale is miraculous.


there was no kale present in my morning overnight oats.


no kale visible in my day's eats (top left is homemade spinach tortillas with almond butter inside, or apple butter, or zucchini and mustards... it was a strange snack, tasted a bit odd but I was experimenting!)

then: I put some kale, spinach, rice milk, frozen fruits, and some otha things in a blender. it's going to be my liquid for some crazy overnight oats. i'm kinda excited.


dinner, however, did include my very first kale chips sprinkled with salt n peppah and a few drizzles of olive oil (syke! I used olive oil non-stick spray muahah..) ~ they were so good! extremely crunchy, massively so, and perfect next to some home cooked pinto beans, wheat berries, and powerful green onion, freshly diced up.


dessert was kale-less as well, but it was stinkin' delicious. best combo: small amount of smoothie in a bowl with large amount of cereal (kashi golean crunch hurr), if you let it sit for a bit, the cereal gets a tad soft (still holding its crunch, though) and it's a fantaaaastic combo in the mouth.

5am workout:
[100 diff. types of crunches, 10 push ups]
4 miles elliptical - 39:28
[100 mo' crunches, 10 mo' push ups]


I'd love to run one of these days, but who goes for a stroll at 5 in the morning, in the dark, alone, on the hard pavement packed side walks? I think I'll have to save my runnin' legs for the weekends with the hubby man, hello Saturday mornings! I'm sleepy.

The most beautiful promise & hope for our future:

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more, neither shall
there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore,
for the former things have passed away.
Revelation 21:4

I find so much comfort in this verse. This is what our future in Christ looks like, and that is such a peaceful feeling. It's a promise from the Creator of this world to us, His believers! To imagine a life without pain, sadness, or sorrow, is such a delight. And what gets me by these days: giving it all to God, He can handle it ...whatever it may be: awful, burdensome, heavy, overwhelming... and we can't. Depend on Him and let Him know it, it'll make your life easier, I promise.

4 comments:

  1. i needed to read this verse today!!! you are such a gift, dear one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This verse was my strength when my gma passed. She was the one who brought me to Christ, and watching her cling to her Savior and never wavering in her faith as she withered away just blew my mind. I read this verse and it just hit me. No more pain. No more tears. I then stopped being selfish and asked God to TAKE my gma. So that she could be at peace, and with Him. Becausse of this promise He gives us of a pain and tearfree world, I was able to let my gma go. God is so incredible

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooove kale chips! They are definitely one my favorite ways to eat kale. I also love hte idea of blending a bunch of things together to use as the "milk" for overnight oats.. very creative!

    ReplyDelete