September 4, 2010

Rainy Jog + Pinto Bean Chili

Up and movin' at 830 for a run/jog, a grocery shoppin', and some good old fashion R&R.

Hubby + I ate:

banana, almonds, raisins + me: 2 tsp wheat germ.

Packed:



4 slices of beautiful homemade cinnamon/raisin bread = 2 insane almond butter sandwiches

Workout: 5K jog @ the lake in the rain
(slight knee pain was present when I moved too fast, and disappeared when I brought the pace down I think I'm jus' gonna be a hardcore jogger from now on!)
+ lunges, squats, standing ab moves
= 58 minutes o' burning fun.


even joggers get their sweat on!

Newbs:

red wheat berries, elephant heart plum, 2 crimson pears! I'm excited :)

Breakfast:

Eggs packed with bell pepper, serrano chili, and spinach. topped with 1 whole tomato + 1/4 an avocado. + 3 corn tortillas to make egg tacos. Delicious.

Snacks:

Unsalted peanuts n some carrots

Dinnah:

A salad for 2, please. Baby spinach, red wine vinegar, olive oil, raisins, celery, chopped up almonds.

Soup n Spaghetti:

Leftover buckwheat soba noodles from Friday +
amazing pinto bean chili from this lovely blog/site.

Thick and Hearty Pinto Bean Chili
thanks to Fat Free Vegan Kitchen


for 1 divine serving.
  • 3/4 cup cooked pinto beans
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 1/2 green onion, diced
  • 2 tablespoons homemade salsa
  • 1/2 a small summer squash, cut into fourths
  • 5 small broccoli stems, cut into small disks
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1-2 dashes of cumin, oregano, black pepper, paprika, chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 dash of salt, to taste
Bring a small non-stick pot to medium heat. Add a small splash of water, the salsa, and the veggies (tomato, squash, broccoli, onion). Cover and let the veggies get a tad soft, then add in the remaining ingredients (yes, all of them) and a 2nd splash of water if things are looking dry. Cover, lower heat to med/low and let simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until you're ready to consume. Serve with a grain, or some homemade chips, or something fancy.

Oh man: This bowl was so full of flavor, the smell was heavenly and I have to give props to the smoked paprika + the cocoa powder. I found I'm not much of a chili person, unless there is some sort of grain on the side for dipping (spaghetti doesn't work much!). But the aroma of this bowl of chili was so powerful, I'd definitely make it again on a cold afternoon.

then I fell asleep at 9:30, because movie night next to my hubby, with a blanket, a dark room, and a slightly strange (and not so interesting) movie felt too comfy to not shut my eyes and drift off to sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment