September 8, 2010

Veggie Enchilada Casserole

Last night I hunted down this recipe:

And made about 8 million of them for my co-workers as a goodbye gift (new job starts next Monday!) These were the easiest cookies I've ever made! Her's are far more beautiful than mine are, but these little guys in my kitchen still tasted pretty stinkin' amazing.


this delightful recipe makes a few dozen mini-cookies
  • 3 large, ripe bananas, well mashed
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup olive oil (use coconut oil if you have it!)
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 2/3 cup almond meal
  • (use this if you have it:) 1/3 cup coconut, finely shredded & unsweetened
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • (use this if you have it:) 6 - 7 ounces chocolate chips or dark chocolate bar chopped I used about 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, how lovely.
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. In a large bowl combine the bananas, vanilla extract, and oil.
  3. In another bowl mix together the oats, almond meal, cocoa powder (shredded coconut), cinnamon, salt, and baking powder.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
  5. (Fold in the chocolate chunks/chips.)
  6. Drop dollops of the dough, each about 2 teaspoons in size, an inch apart, onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
  7. Bake for 14 minutes (she was so right on this, a little under 15 minutes was perfect!)
Last Night's Dessert:

low fat plain yogurt, frozen berries, banana, 2 dates in a blender, topped with oats + kashi

Mornin' Bfast:

Carrot cake oats with 1 whole nanner (half warmed up, half diced atop) and 1 whole spoonful of almond butter. This bowl reminded me why I switched to half a banana in my morning oats: way too filling for my insides with that almond butter + whole banana combo. Well noted.

Lunch fruits:


Lunch:

aw almond butter sammie, you so wittle on your homemade slices.

Veggie Enchilada Casserole

Thanks to this girl
(serves 2)
  • 4-5 corn tortillas
  • 4 tomatoes, 2 diced + 2 cut into fourths (or 2 diced tomatoes, and a small can of enchilada sauce)
  • 2 serrano chilis, diced (use 1/2 cup red/green bell pepper, I was out)
  • 1 green onion, diced
  • 1/2 zucchini, cut into halves
  • 1/2 summer squash, cut into halves
  • 2 cups home-cooked re-fried pinto beans
  • 1/4 cup homemade salsa (or store bought)
  • dash of: black pepper, red pepper flakes & salt
  1. Bring a pan to medium heat, add a splash or two of water, the diced chilis & onion, let them do their thing for a bit (once soft and delicious looking, remove from heat, cover).
  2. Blend 2 tomatoes with a dollop of salsa, some h2o + salt
  3. Spray a "skinny baking dish" (ie: bread pan) with non-stick spray
  4. Cover the bottom with 1 layer of tortillas (I had to cut mine up to fit nicely)
  5. Add a nice layer of the beans, cover it with the pepper-onion mixture, a handful of diced tomato bits, zucchini, squash, and a wee lad of salsa
  6. Repeat layering: tortilla, beans, peppers, tomato, squash, salsa
  7. Cover the top layer with the tomato puree or enchilada sauce
  8. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until tortillas are nice n soft (test like you would a lasagna with a butter knife) and all the veggies are heated through.

so filling + veggie loaded!

Oh... and this was unnecessary:

it's been months since I tackled a little kashi with cinnamon in a mug, and now I remember why. It's usually an impulse snack, eaten right after dinner, for reasons I can't fathom. I didn't feel sick or nothin' afterward, but my tummy definitely got all up in my case, "why you be throwin' more food in here, I'm 100% satisfied with my veggie casserole!" and so I read a magazine and got over it.

back to being "busy" !

3 comments:

  1. Love those enchiladas!! I have been craving vegie enchiladaas lately..I made some vegan ones a while ago and have been having a hankering for them ever since!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have snacks like that, too. usually i think it's because i got too hungry before dinner and i just wanna eat the whole world! i'm so glad you have such a healthy attitude about it. you rock girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your breakfast bowl. It looks so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete