October 3, 2010

Homemade Savory Crackers

It was a big day. Started off with a green bowl of love and ended with a simple yogurt. Unfortunately, though, it also ended with burnt quinoa - which is probably one of the worst ways to end a great weekend. But, ya know, 'tis what happens when one becomes impatient: "brown, darn quinoa, browwwnn!" *turns up heat to medium high* ... I'm hoping it'll taste better tomorrow. A night in the fridge does a burnt grain good?



grapes are the most amazing topping I have ever experienced.
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 handful spinach
  • 2 kale leaves
  • 2 ice cubes
  • 4 frozen strawberries
  • chia seeds, wheat germ, flax seeds (you know, the best friends)
  • vanilla
  • banana


a wee bit o' art.

Mini-Pizza!!

I (we) decided that making 2 mini-pizzas as opposed to eating 3 slices of a huge-mungus pizza that I share with Edu was a good idea. So I used 2.5 cups whole wheat flour for this guy (usually I use 3) and after the dough was made and beautiful I cut a good chunk off (about the size of 1 cup) and rolled it into a tortilla-thin pizza crust for meh.


mushroom tomato pasta sauce, zucchini, spinach, golden beets, pineapple, bell pepper, serrano chili. t'was divine, and the perfect portion. Hoorah! but hubby had to save 2 slices for another day, which never happens, so next time we'll bring the flour down a tad so he can have a crunchy thin fella like me!

Then I got down to cracker mode. I keep seeing homemade crackers hurr and here and after starving like a mad woman every day 'round 4:45pm at work (still adjusting to the new work schedule...) I decided I needed a good ol' snack (not just a banana + an orange) So I jumped on it.

  • 1/2 cup chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ
  • 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
  • paprika, salt, peppah
  • 2-4 tablespoons of h2o!

then I added rice! 'cause I can, and 'cause I saw it on Mary's Gone Crackers' ingredients list and thought it sounded like a fun plan.


baked at 'round 350* for 20 minutes (or a little less, you gotta watch these bad boys or they'll burn without warning!)


oh my goodness they were incredible! Even my hubby liked 'em! He, of course, said they'd be better with a drizzle of sweetness... I tried to convince him that they were savory crackers, but no go.

Birdseed Bars?

I love this girl and had to make her amazing birdseed bars. but I wanted to try it without the mini-bars pan (if only they sold those everywhere!) and I made the mistake of taking the recommended amount of dates from 5-6 to 2 haha.. I thought I'd do myself a favor and save money by not using up all the dates? Mistake! Only 1 (shown in picture) turned out "bar like" all the others were crumbly, yet delicious. Looks like we've got ourselves 8 servings of yogurt-toppers.

A Good Thing:

Good news! The granola turned out perfectly! And I went back to making Averie's ever-so-perfect-and-fail-proof no-bake granola bars (pictures tomorrow, for real).

yogurt:

I call it "simple" yogurt if I don't blend it with nothin' (so much easier, too) ~So here it is: yogurt, cinna,on, raisins, frozen blueberries, homemade granola and almonds. Delicious.

Ah, another work week is upon us. Giving it to God.

Yet I am always with You;

You hold me by my right hand.

You guide me with your counsel,

and afterward You will take me into glory.

Psalm 73:24-25

2 comments:

  1. Those crackers look amazing!!! I have been thinking ofmaking my own as well...just to say I can do it ;) I LOVE averie's no bake bars...I mean beyond delicious. And you are so creative to have made yourself a little tortilla of pizza from the dough! I never would have thought of that! Good thinkin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those crackers look INCREDIBLE! I think I'm going to have the give them a try!

    ReplyDelete