October 22, 2010

Mi Casa: Granola Bar Factory

Let me just start this post by saying going hungry is the worse feeling ever and these fabulous no-bake granola bars were so past due. It's about time, stinkin' oat bars, thank you for coming back into my life this morning around seven. I'm grateful. To start this Friday morning off right, though, I had to take a five o' clock walk to the gym 'cause I had an appt with Shaun T, once again. But this time? I didn't die :)

Workout: 33 mins Cardio Recovery (intense yoga)
+ 15 minutes abs/arms/legs
(weights)

I loved the workout, but I think the Cardio Recovery ought to be saved for a post-workout stretch, I just missed a good calorie burn I feel. I felt strong walking away from the gym, though. Holding poses is a lot more challenging than it looks. I recommend it!

Kale Beet Monster:

kale, beet greens, rice milk: blend. frozen strawberries, blueberries, banana: blend. flaxseed meal, 2 dates, unsweetened cocoa powder, organic vanilla: blend. consume slowly.


unsweetened coconut, wheat germ, grapes, almonds, chia seeds. it was heavenly, to be honest. I didn't want this glorious bowl to end!


I couldn't help meself, hubby got these for me on our 2 year anniversary and they're too gorgeous to not snap 10 pictures of right after breakfast. They're the most yellow beauties I've ever laid my eyes on!

...then I proceeded to job #1: granola bar prep.

Raw Granola Bar Factory!

  • 3 cups oats
  • 1/2 cup chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ
  • 6 dates, cut into itty-bitty pieces
  • 2 bananas, smashed into delightful mush
  • 1/3 cup almond butter
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 10 good dashes of cinnamon
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
frozen overnight in a baking dish lined with plastic wrap, let thaw for a good 1/2 hour and cut into the perfect go-to afternoon snack.


lining up and ready for packaging, me' lads


I could have cried they turned out so thick and enormous looking. Imitation Clif Bar? I'm in.


individually wrapped, and ready to be placed into their future home...


comparing themselves, I s'pose.


the happy freezer. & now I know why that little shelf exists on everyone's upper/lower freezers: a perfect spot for loads of homemade granola bars, what a genius idea.

ah, and then I checked out lunch/snacks/snacks:


almond butter raisin cinnamon sammie, that is.


spaghetti with beets, tomato, zucchini, bell pepper, green onion

thenIwentshoppingandspentmillionsongoodfood

and ate the rest of the spaghetti, with tempeh!

yes, it was insanely good. and no, I did not go to Trader Joes today. We're all about the local grocery store + Costco, no offense TJs!

I mean... this trip to grocery land was quite exciting, seeing as how I found the bestest first-timers in the Carrillo house:

purple cauliflower? spaghetti squash? butternut squash? pomegranate? cranberries? spelt noodles?! I couldn't stop grinning.


the loot was a good one this time :) and then we tackled Costco for the bulk eats! We then both felt it was time for a little dessert, and prepped accordingly.



it was a good choice: rice milk, spinach, strawberries, flaxseed, cranberries.

cranberries have a sour after taste, is that normal? they now live in the freezer atop the granola bars, and I may or may not throw some in the blender in the near future. oh blender, how our friendship has blossomed these past few weeks, 'tis a great joy, I tell you.

sleep time! hubby's last long run is tomorrow before the big marathon day (Nov 7!) soo we (he) needs loads of good old fashion sleep so all goes smoothly. and wifey? well, I just like to catch me some extra Zzz's, without a 5am wake up call waiting for me shortly after I lay my head to rest. Happy friday!

Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light for my path.
Psalm 119:105

1 comment:

  1. mmm the bars look great! Your hubbys running ANOTHER marathon? Holy moly he is a machine!

    ReplyDelete