November 28, 2010

Makin' Banana Pancakes

Aren't Sundays lovely? I love them to bunches. They're relaxing, a good chance to get a to do list checked off before insanity (that is: the work-week) begin, and there is no rush to jump out of bed, or a reason to really go to bed that early. The past few weeks I have been happily enjoying green monster smoothies in a bowl for my Sunday morn' breakfast, but today I tried something different: Pancake Day #2 and it was amazing.

First: 6:45am alarm clock (falling asleep at 8:50pm on a Saturday made me want to get up nice n' early today so I could make up for much lost time.) cooked up a week's worth of pinto beans, some brown rice, garbanzos, homemade granola into the oven, Avery's no-bake granola bars, Monday night's quinoa stir-fry was cooked up, lunches packed for the next few days, aaaand then pancakes.


in the mix went:
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 tbsp: wheat germ, ground flaxseed, chia seeds
  • cinnamon + unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup + few splashes o' rice milk


I tried cooking some of the banana slices on one side of each cake, but they just ended up burning a tad and making things sticky. But oh my gooooodness, these were heart-warming good, especially when I un-stacked them and placed them atop frozen blueberries. That way, by the time I reached them, the berries were soft and deliiiicious!

Church was beautiful, and convicting, and makes me want to spend every extra minute I have diving into God's word.

"You are the salt of the earth... the light of the world...
let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven" Matthew 5:13-16

Dinner Lovin'

The greatest joy of them all: buy yourself a mini-whole-grain baguette. Toast it in the oven like it tells you to. Remove all the insides (unless you want to eat 600 calories of wheat and not leave any room for BEANS!) and fill with homecooked pinto beans (mashed) and a veggie salsa: tomato, bell pepper, zucchini bits, serrano chili, green onion, white onion and fresh lime juice with avocado atop. And, thanks to my grandma on thanksgiving, I have loads of dark green romaine in a large piece o' tupperware in the fridge, so I took giant bites of that guy between bean sandwich mouthfulls!


Mollete, meet blog world.
Blog world, meet mollete.

Mollete: A mollete, made with bolillos cut longitudinally. Over each half of bread, you spread frijoles and a slice of chihuahua cheese. It is then grilled in an oven until the cheese melts. Molletes in Mexico are usually served with salsa or pico de gallo. Molletes may also be topped with sliced ham, chorizo, bacon or mushrooms.

thank you wikipedia for your wise knowledge.

Then I got to painting, we watched a film (The Young Victoria), I painted a bit more, then realized making some bread would be a smart choice if I wanted any bread-like grains for lunch this week. And a bit later, fruit mush:

1 cup rice milk, 4 frozen strawberries, 1 handful frozen blueberries, drop or two of vanilla


rolled oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, raisins, homemade granola.

LOAF love:

simple business, even when you don't have enough flour: use more ground flaxseed! the true recipe here!

Granola Bars:

Used Avery's recipe with some tweaks:

  • 3-4 bananas, mushed
  • 4 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (to use less almond butter, that stuff is pricey and golden good!)
  • 1/2 cup almond butter
  • 1/2 cup californian organic raisins
  • 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp: flaxseed meal, wheat germ,
  • 1 tbsp: chia seeds, raw sunflower seeds
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 splash of rice milk

throw in plastic-wrapped rectangular baking dish, flatten with spoon or spatula, cover with more plastic wrap. freeze for a few good, long hours (overnight, or make 'em in the morning for PM cutting into bars + eating!) then remove, cut to size, keep in freezer and pull 'em out as needed. They've saved me from starvation too many times to count, I love these little guys.

time for another week of fun! hey, someone has to be optimistic about a Monday, right? Even though I know this lovely girl always is. God bless!

3 comments:

  1. Those banana pancakes look gorgeous!
    Haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pancakes look amazing! As well as everything else you make!! I got to get onto the homemade bread making band wagon. I want to make some sooo bad, but they always turn out flat and small. Since I dont have a bread maker I have to use my lame oven, maybe thats why??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog off Rebecca's and I'm in LOVE! Oh my gosh! I'm an "almost" vegan as well :) I'm so glad to have found your page! I'll definitely be back!

    ReplyDelete