November 30, 2010

Savory Greek Lentil Soup

Good golly today was a delightful day! But I have a baby-sized complaint, that I really shouldn't even mention, but I can't stop thinking about it, even though I have the option of changing it: I am freezing. We have a heater, and we have blankets, and yet we let ourselves freeze sometimes. It's a bit humorous, I must admit. I'm just ready for a bed :)

Started off the morn' with 1/2 a banana, some almonds and raisins, and some H2o before heading to the gym (in my snow coat) and tackling a 30/30 workout which I love because it means less time on the elliptical and more time with awesome weight lifting!
5k - 30:00 elliptical + 30:00 arms/abs/legs
but mainly abs and arms, 'cause those legs have gone through a nice beat-down the past few days. I thought they deserved a mini-rest.

Pumpkin OATS

home-baked pumpkin puree, steel cut oats in rice milk, raisins + cinnamon + almonds


more rice milk, half banana, frozen blueberries, wheat germ, almond butter


the perfect pumpkin oat topping: slightly burnt pumpkin seeds (I'll get the timing right someday on those darn seeds, they always seem to look "not quite done" when the timer goes off so I let 'em brown a wee-bit too much)

and then a packed load of snacks was photographed...


homemade granola bar (sweetened with apple sauce and raisins and bananas!)


a mysterious tower...

...mysterious tower revealed!

and my lovely co-worker Katie pointed out some Picante salsa from the fridge, so naturally, I topped those homemade veggie patties (pintos + oats + veggies) with the good ol' chunky red spice.

the following photo... is myself trying to find out why I've been so stinking tired in the evening times recently (besides the obvious: worked all day, all evening, and waking up at 5am every morning) and wondering if my iron is once again, like always running a bit low.


blood draw courtesy of: my mami :) results? low red blood cells! but my iron? just dandy. So? I must research, and bring those stinkin' cells back up, man!

then beloved dinner time rolled around...


thank you, Woman's Health magazine!


who needs vegetable broth when you have these guys hanging out in your spice rack and some tap water?


  • 2 handfuls baby carrots, diced
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • 3 celery stalks, diced
  • 1/2 cup lentils
  • 1/2 cup wheat berries (cooked)
  • 2 green onions + part of a sweet onion, diced
  • 1 tsp dried garlic (use fresh!)
  • thyme + basil
  • olive oil
  • pasta sauce (once again, I ran out of tomatoes)
  • 2 cups + 1 cup h2o



  1. Bring pot to medium heat, add a splash of olive oil
  2. Cook onion 'till golden: 3 minutes
  3. Add carrot, celery, garlic, golden them up: 4 minutes
  4. Add tomatoes + sauce, mix
  5. Pour in water, lentils, wheat berries, bring to a boil
  6. Let simmer for 25-30 minutes
  7. Add 1/2 cup more water if needed
  8. Serve with homemade tortilla chips!


beauty in a white bowl.


filling, full of flavor, magnificent, lacked in nothing!

Then dessert time rolled around...


rolled oats, cinnamon, frozen blueberries, half a banana, rice milk
mix mix mix: consume.

Therefore, since we have been justified through faith,
we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
through whom we have gained access by faith
into this grace in which we now stand.
And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.

Romans 5:1+2

No comments:

Post a Comment