November 14, 2010

Tofu Sweet Potato Pancakes

alternate title for this post: Goodbye Kale, Adios Broccoli...

It's true: I might try to avoid kale and broccoli for a bit (and their cousins: cauliflowers, other dark delicious greens that aren't just spinach) and see if my "symptoms" let up a bit. The worse part? Hubby still eats both, so they'll still be in my fridge, calling for me to roast + blend the fellas. What.. torture. I won't last another day I bet...

New Runner's Knee Rehab Workout!
13 minutes of repetitions:
  • Single Leg Squats 2x15 each leg
  • Forward Lunges 4x15 alternating legs
  • Side Lunges 4x15 alternating legs
  • Front Plank 2x20 seconds
  • Side Plank 2x20 seconds each side
  • Calf Raises 2x30 on even surface
I read about this mini-workout in this month's Runner's World magazine, and I'm really hoping that it helps my knee so I can (maybe?) wrap my mind around tackling my first half marathon this Summer. We'll see what God has planned!

Ahh, oh.. the good side to not eating a crazy delicious insanely fantastic in your mouth green monster for breakfast? I got to make pancakes this mornin', and I made meself be a bit creativa in the kitchen. It was an experience, to say the least.

Tofu Sweet Potato Pancakes

  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 tbsp wheat germ
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/3 baked sweet potato, skinned
  • 1 little block of firm tofu

I tried so very hard to make this girl's lovely chia seed icing (famous waffle companion of hers. I mixed chia seeds + rice milk) but lost my patience half way through the "soaking" period, and added more chia seeds to see if it would thicken up a tad. Result? It thickened up a whole load, I could hardly mix it with my fork. So I added more rice milk, then more, then more, and still came out with a paste. A tasty paste, yes, but I was looking for a beautiful flowing icing. Maybe next time...!


These were extremely tasty, and filling, and protein packed. I love throwing random ingredients into a pancake and calling it good. They have yet to fail me. Almond butter for dipping, and bananas for eating, o' course.

church and thennn...

snack!

trying to not over-do things with the nut butter intake, and opted for cinnamon.

Mini Lunch:

As I heated up the tortillas, I was immediately reminded of Beth's 2 minute meal and how I was apparently inspired by her every move, 'cause these were much 'round the same family as her bean/cheese tacos from last week. Aw, love the blog world, great minds think alike!


spinach, bell pepper, avocado, home cooked black beans, corn tortillas.
Beige/Brown Party!

from left: steel cut oats, garbanzos, wheat berries, brown rice, quinoa


hummus from the rad marathoner!
2 cups garbanzos, 1.5 tbsp almond butter, cinnamon, cocoa powder, "soy sauce" (red wine vinegar, rice vinegar, red pepper flakes, dash o' salt n pepper), a few splashes of rice milk.


top left: hubby's salsa
bottom left: "I-Smell-Like-Heaven" hummus

Steel Cut

Oats with rice milk, cinnamon, raisins, raw sunflower seeds, almonds.

Pizza Land!

Him: fresh mozzarella, ground turkey breast
Me: summer squash, asparagus
Us: the sauce, pineapple, spinach, bell pepper, serrano chili

Crusty

Love me a good ol' rolling pin. It's saved me from the nightmare that is: dough sticking to the pizza pan 'cause you used your fingers to push it down and skipped the rolling pin since it always worked fine in the past. Life saver.

Protein Power:


I ate like 5 spoonfuls ('cause a bowl wasn't thinkable?!) to fill up with protein, since my pizza kind of lacked in any good ol' source liiiike garbanzos, tempeh, tofu or...beans?

Hello, I LOVE YOU

This was such a good pizza! Edu and I were kind of bummed out, 'cause last week when his brother was here my pizza didn't turn out this good and he sort of missed out today. I'm to blame, I know. I think beets over pizza let out too many pink juices and prevent the crust from reaching ultimate crunchy levels of fun. Lesson learned. Come back, brother-in-law, so I can show you pizza magic!


It was delicious. I'm glad asparagus has made an appearance in my life. It's been too long.

then I ate 2 acorn squash cookies and called it a night as we watched a film. Pure joy.

Keep your life free from love of money,
and be content with what you have,
for He has said, “I will never leave you
nor forsake you.” So we can confidently
say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not
fear; what can man do to me?”

Hebrews 13:5-6

1 comment:

  1. Wow everything looks so good! I love the idea of making pancakes with whatever you have around... i might have to try that!

    ReplyDelete