December 23, 2010

Vegan Gluten Free Date Brownies

Happy almost Christmas! I'm going to start off this post with a very incredibly delicious recipe that I long to share with the world. How did this recipe come upon me? Well, among the 100 pounds of chocolate boxes that parents gifted the doctors at my job, there was one gift that stood out: a beautifully decorated tray of dried fruit. And although it looked lovely, some of the little pieces sure were nasty. I was saddened, but quickly my mood lit right back up when my eye caught one special dried fruit: dates. And not just a small handful of them, but the whole bottom layer of the tray was date-ful and I had empty tupperware on hand. So I stole them. 95% of those dates were mine.
Gluten Free Date Brownies

Recipe from Simply Sugar and Gluten Free
  • 2 cups pitted dates
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup brown rice flour (or other gluten-free flour)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup roasted almonds
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 dash of salt


  1. Preheat oven to 350* coat an 8x8 pan with non-stick spray
  2. Combine dates, water, and vanilla and set aside.
  3. Process almonds until desired bits are acquired, place in a bowl
  4. Add dry ingredients to almonds, stir to combine
  5. Process dates, water, vanilla until it becomes a nice paste
  6. Add dry ingredients, process for a minute or so.
  7. Pour batter into pan, bake 15-20 minutes and eat them all.
  8. These brownies are very moist, the knife in the middle test doesn't work, so just don't burn the fellas!

PS: I wasn't planning on making these gluten free, but I had run out of wheat flour and only had brown rice flour on hand. It all worked out amazingly, though. These babies are delicious! And, you could definitely eat them raw which is my favorite.



Friday Workout: 4 miles elliptical - 39:40
20 minutes abs/arms

Breakfast:

steel cut oats, rice milk, cinnamon, almonds, raisins, chia seeds, flaxseed, wheat germ.


frozen blueberries, banana, almond butter, pom arils, raisins, sunflower seeds,

Packed Work Eats:

homemade tortilla with sweet potato tomato topping

Work Fun:

Goodbye beautiful bulletin board that says Merry Christmas in many languages...


Goodbye tree I put up the day after thanksgiving...


goodbye santa suit that I found in a box and my beautiful secret santa that wears the best scrubs to work....


goodbye random assortment of good for you/bad for you foods from my secret santa...

I love this season, and I'm sad that the work parties are over (even though I didn't really go to the actual work party) but Christmas is coming and there's no reason not to be joyous in that!

Dinner:

leftover tofu quinoa stir fry, home cooked pinto beans all mashed up and served with homemade tortilla and avocado.





Then we watched movies, I painted, wrapped presents, and ate dessert.


the usual scrumptious red bowl.

And now: I need to make a crazy emergency trip to the dollar store for more wrapping paper! Wrapping might be one of my favorite verbs ever. I never want it to stop!

1 comment:

  1. I am so making those brownies!! I will probably leave mine raw though...well maybe not. Maybe I will make it both ways :) I just bought a bunch of dates as well so this is perfect!! Merry Christmas Eve love :)

    ReplyDelete