December 19, 2010

Goodbye Daily Supplements

Yes, I have made a big decision: to stop taking 6 pills a day and try to actually get all my vitamins from real food! Hey, there's an idea! It all came from The China Study book and how we can truly get all of our vitamins/minerals from the foods we eat everyday (yes, even a 99% plant-based diet!) and that supplements aren't necessary. I am, however, going to take a B12 supplement 2x/day since I don't eat them animal products (B12 is found in mainly in animal protein, but also in algae + seaweed). I'm excited but nervous, 'cause I also want to wean myself off of some prescribed meds (for migraines) and I'll stop taking iron which I have needed since a teen. We'll see what happens!

Bfast:

spinach looooving with too many frozen strawberries (hence the grey monster, not so much a green fella in a bowl) with black grapes and raisins, sunflower seeds, wheat germ, chia seeds.


It was a delicious breakfast, and kept me full for hours and hours.

Saying Goodbye:

2 flaxseeds, 1 iron, 1 echinacea (a day), 1 vitamin D (2x/week), migraine meds (1x/day).

New Friend:

2x 6 days a week, skipping the day I eat my chicken!

Keeping Track...

I made up a list of plant foods high in iron so I won't be lacking. I'll try and eat a serving of the high foods a few times a day, and check my iron levels at work when my mumsy has time to draw her daughter's blood after lunch breaks (we were at a pediatric clinic)!

Then We:

split this beauty! I loved it, and hope to make some similar 'cause they're delicious and have sprouted grains and I would love to learn that process, for reals!


and we split a bananer

Then I cooked, like a beast, from 1-7pm with a 2 hour break for dinner/movie!


granola (raw honey, olive oil, chia seeds, cinnamon, wheat germ, rolled oats)


steel cut oats for 1 week (rice milk, water, cinnamon, raisins, sunflower seeds) need extra liquid 'cause the oats absorb all the milks/water throughout the week and no one likes a bowl of dry oats at 6am, right?


garbanzos, quinoa, brown rice, lentils


pinto bean/lentil/oat burgers with cumin + paprika
Pre-baked, then frozen for weeks of protein patties for lunch!


zucchini + asparagus, you never fail me.


swoon!


a baby loaf, since my yeast didn't grow + I felt too silly to toss it out and try a new batch. We like cute bread here in the Carrillo familia!


home cooked pinto beans all refried, mashed, with chili bits.


tomorrow's dinner from 101cookbooks!


hey heyyy



pomegranate domination!


frozen blueberry dessert with oats, cinnamon, half a banana, granola, rice milk

My goodness gracious, how is it possibly time for bed already? Oh how I love my pillow, how could I complain.

In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
for You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8

2 comments:

  1. My mom used to have me taking 42 pills a day. There was SO many different supplements I was taking I counldnt even tell you what they all were. I played almost 5 soccer games a weekend, so she was just trying to keep me healthy but when I went to the doc he basically told her she was poinsoning me with all the stuff I was on. It was crazy.
    Going natural is the way for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh- I'm drooling! Everything looks AMAZING! And yes, getting your daily vits from food is the best way!

    ReplyDelete