December 11, 2010

My First Race in 8 Months

Oh, Friday. You were truly a joy. So much so that I didn't even blog about you on time. Fiiiiirst, I slid out of bed and headed to the gym, tackled a quick 30 mins on the elliptical machine and broke a good 5K on the bad boy I took things fairly calmly with the speed at first, diving waaay too deep into a really good read: The China Study, and then realized how turtle-like I was moving and pushed my legs as fast as I could for the last 10 minutes or so. My legs were on fiiire! But in a really, really, good way.

Then I inhaled oatmeal.

Then I noticed how beautiful pumpkin oats are

And then I got packed a day's worth of good ol' food.

And I went to work and did mai thing and ate mo' food.

2 baked tofu/garbanzo patties over homemade bread, avocado, spinach, bell pepper.


After work zone, mumsy and I went down to grocery-land and I bought the usual goods.

yesss!! plus ground turkey breast + sardines for my hubby

Then some serious dinner happened.

  1. heat pan + olive oil
  2. add cauliflower + asparagus bits
  3. add red pepper flakes + dash o' salt
  4. add cooked spaghetti
  5. let flavors do their thang

I then decided that making bread on Friday would be a clever idea since it'd save me a tad bit o' time on Sat/Sun to do... Other rad things. So I pulled out the classic no-bread-maker-needed recipe and went to town.

Delightful loaves!

I feel like a mug with rice milk, blueberries, half a banana and a few handfuls of muesli went down later... But who knows.

Oh and SATURDAY appeared. But wait, fiiirst let's quickly run back to Friday night in bed: hubby tells me he is going to run a race tomorrow morning. Where? I ask. Edmonds, he says. What time? I ask. 9:00am, he replies, then asks, do you want to run it? I say, okay.

I ate this

my favorite pre-run eats: brown rice cake, almond butter, banana and chia seeds!

Keep in mind, my relationship with running: love the old fellow, but my right knee doesn't always feel the same way. I used to run 5-6 miles 5x/week, and now I run once a week, every Saturday, from 3 to 6 miles, on flat soooft terrain. Knee pain occurs about every other run, for reasons I am un aware of. I usually feel more pain on hilly, pavement runs, though. So, a race? In Edmonds? On the streets? Okay I guess. The worse case scenario? I'd go from sprint to brisk walk if pain occured... So I registered the following morning.

5K - Run Rudolph Run! 40 bucks later, we both had our race numbers pinned, watches set to zero, and we were ready to go. 1... 2... 3!!!! I dashed out of the track/field, onto the pavement. I was being followed by a 6-year-old girl with bells attached to her shoes, shirt, skirt, bracelets, and headband. She passed me, I caught up, dad told her to keep the pace down and I didn't feel like the slowest 22 year old on earth. It was jolly.

I couldn't stop smiling. Me? Run a race again? I thought I would never see the day, I missed it so much! I greeted everyone I saw, sometimes just in my head but I thought to say hi, I wanted to 'cause I was so stinkin' joyous!! Then the mile one marker... I checked my watch: 7:46?! I have never run anything even close... I looked around, the guy next to me said, was that really the first mile? We all expressed feelings of slight doubt after looking at our time and decided we all made new PRs that very day.

Then up this hill, down a little, back up, turn to the right and see another hill. Sprint it, push yourself! I tried to motivate my legs, they were feeling pretty good so they kept up nicely with the cement hills. Throughout the whole run I was thinking about my knee, the one that hates anything but flat dirt/mud/track paths, and it didn't even squeek at me. It was silent, pain-free, and kicking butt this morn' and I am so thankful that it did!!

Mile 2: 15:00 - again, waaay too fast, so don't count on that being the true distance that I ran in fifteen minutes. I'm pretty sure I'm an 8:45min/mile type o' girl - on my gooood days. But I took the fifteen and felt swell! Then I saw my hubby, who enjoys finishing races and then finding me shortly thereafter to motivate + inspire the wifey. We ran the last 150 meters together and I finished with an "Not-Sure-How-Accurate-That-One-Is" time of: 26:15, but of course I forgot to push the stop button on Mr.Watch so I'll pretend this was my true time:

Hubby's time? 17 minutes. Inspiration, I tell youu!

Then we ate bananas and homemade granola bars.

Then we went to Costco and spend a million dollahs.

Then I made/ate pumpkin n' oats pancakes.

1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup pumpkin puree, 1/2 cup rice milk
cinnamon nutmeg ginger chia seeds wheat germ flaxseed
mix, brown in pan, top with frozen blueberries + 1/2 banana

Then I planned the day out on paper.

Then I saw my to-do list growing.

Then I made: granola bars + granola.

Then cooked: garbanzos, brown rice, steel cut oats, quinoa and browned hubby's turkey for PIZZA! oh, and I ate about 10 dozen garbanzos:

Then pizza went down (for me: pasta sauce, zucchini, asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, red kale, spinach, pineapple, bell pepper, serrano chili aaaand for him: sauce, mozzarella, turkey, pineapple, bell peppah, serrano chili and spinach!) + a movie: Children of Men.

Then I babysat the cutest, most goofy and fun little 2.8 year old that I know (sooo makes me want to have babies of my own!)

Then home at 11:30pm and sleep.

Ok, I can't lie, I'm stoked for tomorrow - for it is my first day of working at my church's nursery (well, first time in 8 million years 'cause I used to be there all the time as a teeeen)! I love me some baby time and I'm so excited to work with wee-ones again. Shoot, put a girl in a daycare for 3 years and she be a changed woman, with a big ol' heart / need to be around babies for the rest of her given days. It's a fact. At least, it was for me!

Guuud Nite!

No comments:

Post a Comment