December 16, 2010

Too Much Fiber?

Is there really such a thing? After calculating my fiber intake with google ("how much fiber is in a ______________?") and finding out the recommended daily intake for an adult (25-35g/day) I have realized something a bit astonishing: I eat double the amount of fiber that is recommended. At least, that's what it seems after reading here, here, and not so much here. So, is there such a thing as too much dietary fiber? And could I be doing more harm than good? Help me out, nutrition degree of my future that I dream about often!!


fiber: steel cut oats, banana, raisins, almonds, sunflower seeds, nut butter, rice milk


fiber: fruit and veggies, homemade bread, garbanzos, granola bar


fiber: on a plate, organized beautifully.


fiber: bean mania, squash with quinoa and kale and tomatoes and asparagus.


fiber: steel cut oats, rice milk, almonds raisins, half a pear.

I also discovered that I eat double the amount of carbs as "recommended" and the almost-perfect amount of protein (hooray beans and tofu!) while my healthy fats were a bit high (darn you, almonds and sunflower seeds, I love you too much) as is my fruit-like sugar intake. Shoot, give me 3 bananas and I might just eat them at the same time. I can't help it.

So, the real question is: what next? How do I bring my fiber intake down just a tad so my insides don't have to suffer? What do I eat instead of that extra piece of fruit or that 2nd bowl of oats for dessert? Air? Water? Pasta sauce?

I need to investigate!!

and yes, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Now I gotta fix it!

3 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha - I bet there's nothing wrong in eating too much fiber... Eating less then you should is the problem!
    Gotta LOVE your lunches!
    It makes me crave garbanzo beans so badly...
    Holy YUM!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! My friend shared your blog with me..I like reading it! It's interesting and gives me new ideas for meals and snacks. I enjoy eating healthy as well. I'm not as dedicated as you! lol But I enjoy finding healthy alternatives to every day foods.

    I can tell when I've eaten too much fiber! I get bloated and feel "too full," even if I haven't eaten too much. So I hear ya! It's definitely uncomfortable. The other night I made myself veggie stir fry with brown rice....Yaa.....waaaaayyy too much fiber on one plate! Cause about 30 minutes after eating it, I was getting pretty bloated!

    I bet you're fine on your carbs, though. Since you work out so much you need the extra carbs. The first thing your body burns is carbs. If you didn't eat enough of them, you wouldn't be able to run and work out like you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, have you ever tried Almond milk? I see you usually use rice milk, but almond milk has an amazing flavor! It's delicious.

    ReplyDelete