January 30, 2011

Brown Rice Brownies

Don't let the title fool you, for the brown rice brownies I made today were probably the least-flavorful babies I've ever whipped up in the kitchen. But they had amazing texture and I'm going to eat every single one without a doubt. Recipe to follow...

Breakfast!

This was so incredible! A tip: always freeze your bananas! I've been skipping the freezer with my green monster smoothies for a while now, and last night I decided to throw a peeled fella in the freezer for this morning's bfast. And it was an insanely delicious decision. I give you:
  • 2 1/2 handfuls red kale
  • 3/4 cup rice milk
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 4 frozen strawberries
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla


amaranth, sunflower seeds, almonds, chia seeds and grapes. it was perfect.

After church we went house hunting and then came home and ate some veggies. Hooray!


a big ol' piece of squash + cinnamon + paprika
4 asparagus spears + basil/kale pesto + avocado oil, salt, pepper

Then I tackled a huge pizza, and diced up my granola bars from the freezer while Mr. Pizza cooked for a good 30 minutes.


I love how this big ol' recipe makes so many bars! They last me for weeks!

Then we grabbed our pizza slices and prepared ourselves for movie night:

Go see this movie! It was so stinkin' good! Hillllarious!


pizza was heaven, like always.


mushroom tomato sauce, garbanzos, freshly sliced pineapple, green bell pepper, broccoli, zucchini, golden cauliflower, serrano chili and some unpictured red pepper flakes :)

Brown Rice Brownies
(
do not attempt this stunt at home)


brown rice flour, rice milk, walnuts, almond butter, vanilla, chia seeds, unsweetened cocoa powder, water and a dash o' salt


and these :)


I added to the recipe 'cause it didn't have a sweetener, but I don't think it was supposed to. I just knew that Edu wouldn't like 'em if they weren't sweet, so instead of using up all his precious dates (my favorite sweetener of all time!) I decided to improvise with banana + a squirt of honey. Bad idea.


baked for 40 minutes, looking delightfully good.


tempting, soft and chocolate packed. look heavenly, right?


frozen blues, rice milk, cinnamon, amaranth, muesli, sunflower seeds, banana lovin' and my friend, the brown rice brownie.

Brownie issues: not sweet, not a bit. that's the only issue
Brownie delights: nutty texture, rich side o' chocolate, freezer proof!

I'm going to eat them all (since hubby took one bite and decided to pass) and smile while pretending they taste like cake (which they do, minus the sugar) and let's be honest: they tasted good, they just don't taste like brownies. We're sugar addicts, all of us!

time for shleep :)

3 comments:

  1. Omg seriously all of your food looks so so so good! I am hungry now :)

    Your blog it so cute! I can't wait to read more... I just started blogging about two month ago - it is SO addicting :) Check out my page if you get a chance: http://oatsandspice.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your food all looks so great! I love freezing bananas and popping them into smoothies or banana bread later! Yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhh hiii Nicole! Nice to meet you! (via blog) I'm so glad to have found your site and I'm looking forward to reading more~ :D God bless ya sista keep on being the light that shines for Christ!

    ReplyDelete