January 26, 2011

Cocoa Banana Walnut Pancakes

I know, longest title ever created for a stack o' pancakes. But oh my goodness, you would have been left tongue-tied, too. Feast your eyes upon...


with banana slices between each little cake


divine insanity.
  • 1/4 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 banana, mashed
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 half-handful raisins
  • 1 half-handful walnuts
  • 1/2 cup rice milk + few splashes
  • 1 tbsp: chia seeds, flaxseed, wheat germ


microwaved frozen blueberries poured atop for a quick n' easy "compote"

it was heaven at 7:50am.

and now, a discussion about
the importance of celery


Oh celery. As a child, celery was only present in tuna/mayo mixes inside pita. As a teen, it appeared time and time again in tuna + mayo, but atop crispy (iceberg) greens. Until recently, I would cut a few stalks of celery up and eat 'em by their lonesome during lunch, but then I asked myself, where are the nutrients in this light green stick? Isn't it just... Water? So I went without it for 2 weeks, I simply stopped buying the fellow.




Then guess what happened? I realized the most important usage for celery, a dish that is not a dish without Mr. Celery as one of the first ingredients to ever hit the bottom of a warm pot. What amazing dish am I speaking of? SOUP!



Soup is not soup without a celery base. At least, my soups just are not soups without celery. I tried (twice!) And was left with a tasteless bowl of cooked veggies and herbed water. It broke my heart.



So, needless to say, I will not be making soup without celery ever again. This bowl was awe-mazing, but only because of the special green that filled it with flavor. Thank you, celery.



lesson learned: celery is essential. I don't know if I'll go back to eating it as a snack next to some incredibly good tasting carrots, but I will never leave the grocery store on a Friday night without the little crisp tree. I need it. My soups need it.

moving on...


today's snacks!

Fishy friends at work!

showing off his stretching skills, meet Frances


cute, hairy, long legged, what more could you ask for in a hermit crab?


George, our wise and smiley puffer fish.


maaarvelous soup for lunch.


orange slices from Florida: but, a special orange called a... tangeronge? a mix between a tangerine and an orange and a grapefruit? something of the sort. but it was juicy and sweet to over-board extremes. Let's move to Florida and eat all their fruit!


dinner t'was: 2 spinach pinto bean oat patties, avocado, tomato + half a sweet potato with cinnamon and papriiika.


my first homemade pesto experience, which will soon have it's very own post. Because this was way too flavorful to go unnoticed, or unspoken of, or all ignored. How have I been missing out on this experience my entire life? Where is the madness going to end?!

Then I cooked...






and added pesto to whole wheat spaghetti!

I'm so. excited. to eat this.

"So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. "
Isaiah 41:10

2 comments:

  1. It's so true! Celery, carrots, and onion (mirepoix) make the best base for any soup - meat or not! The best part is you can still use the stalks for stock even after they are past their prime and a little soft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty sure those are the cutest pancakes I've ever seen. Haha and I always forget about celery! Seriously! If I DO buy it, it sits in the drawer of my fridge until it turns brown. I love it I just forget to eat it!

    ReplyDelete