January 16, 2011

A First Time: Cabbage + Freshly Ground Wheat Bread

Good morning, Sunday! Ah, I seemed to have been in a crazy rush this morn' and I forgot to breath. Actually, I did breathe, a whole bunch, but it only started off that way. I grabbed my favorite book and read as I blended greens + frozen fruit, then read some mo', then realized I had 20 minutes to get ready for church - and I was still unshowered and in my pajamas. That's when I stopped breathing and moved at rapid speeds!

breakfast

newbie toppings: blackberries + almond butter.
Almond butter should be saved for oats, not green monsters.

cooking

Deep reading went down all day today, and these were two of the lucky ones as I planned the dinner menu for the next 2 weeks. I love the eat, drink & be vegan book! Her recipes are so delightful and fun, I'm stoked for this week's eats!

bowling water and...

...t'was time to cook grains like nobody's business.

a new friend!

a purple fella, inspired by my lovely uncle who consumes cabbage salads every evening. This one's for you, lovely uncle o' mine!


I was nervous that I wouldn't love it, so I cooked up some brussel sprouts in avocado oil with liquid aminos and sesame seeds, and threw in a mini handful of chopped up red cabbage towards the end. Red cabbage is amazingly delicious! It did many dances in my mouth, and my taste buds went wild tasting something so fantastic for the first time. I'm hoping to make some stuffed cabbage things, along with cabbage in my sushi + rice wraps!

time to grind!

Also thanks to my aunt + uncle, I am the proud owner of a boat-load of wheat. My mom let me borrow her coffee bean grinder to grind the wheat for breads + such, but I thought things were moving a little too slowly...


so I moved onto the 6 cup blender to do the job!


It was a beautiful success, with a few not-so-ground-up bits remaining on the sides, but I love me a nice textured bread!

...flour set aside...

Snack time!

microwaved homemade granola bar (had to defrost the guy) with frozen blueberries: insanely magical tasting, please do!

Protein Red Bowl:

freshly cooked pinto beans in their delightful water: heaven.

Pizza Party!

from left: freshly sliced mozzarrella for hubby, garbanzos for me, browned turkey breast for hubby, bell pepper and serrano chili for both of us, red cabbage, asparagus, carrots for me, pasta sauce + pineapple for both. Aaaand, the beloved freshly made dough chilling out in not-freshly-ground-flour, 'cause I had lots of the bagged stuff I needed to use up first.


delicious rainbow...


delicious vegan raaaiiinboooow...


delicious crunchy vegan rainbow! Oh gosh, I melted inside.

Golden Loaves!

No, they're not burnt, they're golden and delicious in each and every way.


How do I know they were delicious?


'cause we shared a slice, and the texture was unbelievable! I love me some freshly ground wheat, it was marvelous! Can I never go back? I never want to go back to buying the expensive bags (sorry Bob's Red Mill brand... bring your price down and maybe I'll go back?)

then we watched The Town, and I loved it much so.

Dessert:

1 banana, mashed, cinnamon, unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/4 cup oats, splash of rice milk: microwave, baby! then decorate...


amaranth, sunflower seeds, frozen blueberries, almonds, raisins!

Have a delightful Monday, bloggers + family + friends!

Fear not, for I am with you;
be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous
right hand.

Isaiah 41:10

1 comment:

  1. Im always so jealous of your loaves!! They always turn out BEYOND amazing! Thats so awesome that your family gave you a bunch of wheat! I have never tried purple cabbage before, but I like the regular green ones!

    ReplyDelete