January 18, 2011

A Green Monster for Dinner

Tuesday, Tuesday... You were quite fascinating. I felt swell rising out of bed this morning, ready to take on "Break a 25 Minute 5K" training: day 2. The same distance, 7K, was called for but hubby wanted to see how my knee + the treadmill + speed would equal out to, so we brought the level to 5.5 start, and 6.0 after mile 1, 'till I hit 4.35 miles. The result?



Pain free speed!! I finished in 44:31, a huge 3 minute difference from yesterday's 47:31, and thanked my legs with an extra long 10 minute stretch. I had no time for abs, but my legs felt amazing!

After showering and getting ready to tackle another work day, I delighted in the following beautiful red bowl of steel cut oats with my favorite 7 toppings of all time: frozen blueberries, amaranth, wheat germ, banana, chia seeds, almond butter and sunflower seeds.




It was incredible, filling, and comforting to my tummy as I read my daily devotional.

Thought: Beyond Bitterness, Matthew 5:7 "Those who show mercy to others are happy, because God will show mercy to them." It was a time to reflect on my life and the people in it, am I holding in any bitterness, anger, or negativity towards anyone? Who do I need to forgive, what awful situations do I need to forget? Bitterness is not part of God's plan for my life, being joyful and sharing His Word is part of His plan. It's so amazing to know that we don't have to live in the darkness because our Holy Father sent His Son to free us from sin!

Work had its ups and downs, but mainly ups, and I enjoyed snacks all day...



as well as some pretty unbelievably tasty veggie rice rolls. I made an almond sauce based off of Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan, and drizzle it atop the rolls before each bite. It was fantastic.


brown rice seasoned with liquid aminos, sesame seeds + red pepper flakes with cucumber, avocado and red cabbage.

Once home, I ate a few raisins and almonds, then a slice of heavenly homemade bread with almond butter and chia seeds.



Then it was time for some slicing, dicing, stir-frying, mixing, baking and good ol' cooking! I tackled some tofu stir fry with broccoli, a lemon garbanzo mix from 101cookbooks.com,



and got lunches packed for the next few days as well as baked an acorn squash + some sweet potato. The house smells like cake, and I'm slightly in love with it.

Now? Couch. Tummy growling. Time for Tuesday's Epic Green Monster!! I skipped a true dinner so I could indulge in this green beauty:



2 handfuls kale, 2 handfuls spinach, 3/4 cup rice milk, 1 frozen banana, 4 frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/3 cup rolled oats + 1 blender. Left in fridge for a few hours to set and become even more rich, chocolatey, and silky.



And in about 10 minutes it's going to dive into my belly!

And... Reflect: "May our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, who loved us and by His grace gave us encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word." - 2 Thessalonians 2:16/17

3 comments:

  1. You know, I've recently "discovered" chia seeds, but I haven't had them dry yet! I bet on AB toast would be a great snack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the pain free run girl! Im trying to run today if I got off work early enough...I hope I can breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad i found your site. I have been trying to replace bad carbs with oatmeal. I will try to make the epic green monster tonight. Got to get some Chia seed now

    ReplyDelete