January 25, 2011

An Oatmeal Intervention

Ever wonder how much is too much when it comes to oatmeal? I've recently run into this dilemma. I eat a bowl of steel cut oats bigger than Texas for breakfast, a raw rolled oats granola bar for an afternoon snack, and after a mini-dinner I attack a big ol' bowl of.... more oats. And I mean, these bowls are a little bigger than just a serving.

Have I run into a mini oatmeal addiction?

So, what should I do? Do I buy other sorts of yummy grains, to switch up my oat love affair or maybe attempt to tame it a tad? Or can I continue to eat my body weight in oatmeal and live a normal life free of vitamin deficiency? Let's ponder that idea, shall we?

Gym: 7K - 43:16 + 24 push ups + stretch




Rundown:
  • warm up
  • 12 push ups
  • run 1 mile level 5.5
  • 2 miles at 6
  • 1 mile at 6.5
  • last third mile at level 7
  • cool down
  • stretch
  • 12 push ups to top it off.

Breakfast: steel cut oats, cinnamon, rice milk, all the goods.


Wikipedia told me that oats have 17g protein, 11g fiber, 26% of our B5 vitamins, 15% of our folate needs, 40% of our iron, and 4 grams of soluble fiber!


where's the bad?

Lunch: kale chips, brown rice + pinto bean "jumble aya"



Snacks: fruit, veg, homemade granola bar, half almond butter chia cinnamon sammie


Dinner: edamame w/salt n peppah, brussels and red cabbage cooked with liquid aminos and sesame seeds



Dessert: steel cut oats, microwaved strawberries + blues, cinnamon, raw + roasted sunflower seeds



Kitchen joys: from ED+BV of course! Pesto with walnuts and kale, monkey minestrone soup!




With all oat-judgment aside, I must say this: I love life, I love my God who saved me from a life of sin, I love my husband, I love my family and friends, I love food, I love sometimes 5am sweat sessions, and I really truly guilt-freely love my oatmeal. Even if I do OD some days, I'm full o' joy!

4 comments:

  1. I wouldnt say your oat addiction is BAD, as long as you are getting all the other nutrients you need, which you clearly are ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You eat oats like I eat oats :) I may or may not have eaten oats for 3 meals a day...plus a snack...XP
    And you can NEVER get too much of those babies!! hahaha...I just say that my cholesterol probably ROCKS--hahaha :)
    FOLLOW ME!!!!!!!!
    http://greensk8r-fireandice.blogspot.com
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooooove oats. I have them for breakfast almost every day. I agree with Kat, as long as you're getting your other nutrients you don't need to worry about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oats are the jam! I've been having them for dinner a lot lately. I don't know if I'm addicted to them, or just the fact that they are an excellent vehicle for my nut butter addiction ; )

    ReplyDelete