January 19, 2011

Oaty Squash Pancakes

It's Wednesday! 'Tis my rest day, and although I slightly missed getting a good sweat in, I know that these rest days are essential if I want to make any progress and avoided injuries. And ah, to sleep in 'till 6:30am is a true blast, I tell you. I almost jumped out of bed this morning, well rested and ready to make some acorn squash pancakes.



I combined some dry ingredients: 1/3 cup oats, dash o' cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, tablespoon chia seeds, flaxseed and wheat germ, small handful of raisins... And for the wet: a few splashes of rice milk (approx. 3 tablespoons) with the insides of a little under half of a baked acorn squash and half a mashed up banana. Mix! Then... Heat frying pan to medium, spray pan with non-stick spray, and go to town.



Make 7 little almost-circular pancakes, served with the 2nd half of the banana, frozen blueberries, and almond butter for dripping. And I loved every last bite, even though they only seemed to last about 4 minutes on my plate. Shucks...

Then work land 9-6, the consumption of some amazing bean chimichangas, and loads of snacks.




I got to admit, these chimmis from this amazing cook were the most delicious tacos I have ever had - EVER! They were extremely flavorful, the flavor explosion soo intense. Please do your taste buds a favor and make these babies, I ate 5 and could have easily had 5 more for an afternoon snack. Love. Love. Love.

Upon arriving in me home, all I could think about was how starving I was. I work 9-6 on Wednesdays, and staying for that extra hour in the evening really messes with my body's eating schedule, I go slightly insane inside. I wanted something sweet, but full of the good greens, so I once again opted for a green monster with leafy greens, whole grain carbs, and nutty protein!


  • 3 handfuls spinach
  • 1 large celery stick
  • 1 banana
  • 4 frozen strawberries
  • 3/4 cup rice milk
  • 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 huge date, pitted
It was extremely rich and creamy, and I fell deeply in love, never wanting the bowl to end. But alas, it did end, and my heart cried a tad. Anyway, now it's time to rest and wind down, maybe with a little reading or journaling - 'cause if I don't pour out my thoughts on paper, I turn into a zombie-like crazy mess.

Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!

Psalm 3:8

2 comments:

  1. Your green monsters always look SO delicious! Very artistic photos - keeps me coming back for more!

    ReplyDelete