February 1, 2011

Bean and Corn Mexican Lasagna

I love this life! Okay, it's hard and demanding sometimes, but it feels rad to be alive and to have a God that loves me and wants the best for me. This morning I woke up in the warmest bed I ever did crawl into, and upon stepping onto the floor I was hit with a freezing cold blanket of air (which felt less like a blanket and more like a large piece of steel). But I was a bit excited for the morning, because my hubby Edu gave me a new side of training on the treadmill - a true test of endurance, speed, and a knee with past issues.

So I ate half a banana with almonds and raisins, did a quick warm up at home and 12 push ups, then headed to the gym. It was 30* outside, the puddles were frozen in time, the windows of cars were covered in a thick sheet of ice, and I felt my nose and ears turn pink almost immediately. But no fear, I was wearing a snow coat!! At the gym, I turned on some tunes and, with hubby's post-it note in hand, proceeded to jump atop the treadmill.



So I did as he guided: level 6 start for 3K (or 1.84mi) then speeding it up to 7.5 as my max speed. And oh boy was it hard! That speed for 1 minute is nice, for 2 is a good challenge, for 3 is pushing it, and for 4 whole minutes was complete insanity, but I loved it! After the last 7.5 round (4mins) I "rested" at level 6 for about 3 minutes and called it good at mile 4 (time: 37:35). Then stretch, leg extensions - 3 sets 12 reps, about 7 mins abs, a quick 3 sets of 12 reps: side-lying leg lift (from Runner's World magazine),and 12 push ups to conclude the business. Hooray!!




Breakfast:

Chocolate Banana Almond Butter Oats, with 9 pounds of chia seeds + frozen blues

Packed Snacks:

almond butter, cinnamon, raisins sammie + homemade granola bar

Lunch: Eat, Drink and Be Vegan's



Oh my gooosshh this tasted heavenly! I made a few changes to the recipe so here's my rendition:


Bean & Corn Mexican Lasagna
serves 2-3
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans, rinsed
  • 4 roma tomatoes, diced
  • 4 corn tortillas, cut into triangles
  • 2 serrano chilis
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn
  • 1 tbsp avocado oil
  • 1 tsp (more or less) each of: oregano, garlic, onion, red pepper flakes, chili powder, cumin seed!
  • dash of salt


  1. Pre-heat oven to 375* spray baking dish (I used a mini-lasagna one) with non-stick spray
  2. Bring a small pot of water to a boil, add tomatoes and chilis
  3. Boil for 5-7 minutes, 'till tomatoes' skins are coming off
  4. Drain water + toss tomatoes + chilis in blender (careful, contents very hot and might cause a mini-explosion inside blender, let it cool a bit first with lid off)
  5. Puree mixture 100% leaving no chunks
  6. Add a drop or two of avocado oil (or olive oil) to small pot and slowly pour in tomato puree, cover and let boil for 10 minutes, adding water if it's looking too thick or sticking.
  7. Combine beans, spices + corn in a mixing bowl, toss to coat everything evenly.
  8. Pour tomato puree atop beans, mix to combine.
  9. Layer baking dish as follows: bean heaven, tortilla layer, bean heaven, tortilla layer... etc
  10. Top with tortilla strips, if you wish.
  11. Bake 40 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed (cover for last 10 minutes to prevent burning, depending on your oven's man power!)


It tasted as good as my hubby's enchiladas, which is definitely saying something since they're hardcore truly Mexican delights, and it doesn't get much better than that. This lasagna is to die for, please buy her book and make it!!

At work I leaned on God a lot. The day went by fairly quickly but there were definitely a few bumps that threw me off a tad at different moments of the morning + afternoon. I just kept my focus on the task at hand: COLOSSIANS 3:23-24 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. "

Once home, I ate a sushi salad with edamame:

sushi salad: everything you'd roll up in toasted nori (sushi paper) loosely tossed with liquid aminos, sesame seeds, sesame oil and mixed in with cut strips of nori! Deliiiicious! with edamame, steamed, and sprinkled with salt.

a magical idea: cucumber, avocado, red cabbage, zucchini :)

Then all of this happened:



"you smell like stinky feet covered in bleach, Mr. Tempeh. I am going to pass you today and use tofu instead, because it doesn't smell like chemicals!" ... something was going on with my tempeh. I was sad...




Hooray!

Then this...




Hooray again!

And a gift in the mail...

I'm. So. Stinking. Excited!

And hubby's sinus issues caused him to eat/drink this:

4 lime's juices + 1 tsp salt + 3 garlic cloves, diced.


appetizing?

The chocolate happened!

Green Monster turned brown: 1 banana, rice milk, frozen strawberries, red kale, cocoa powder + blender. Brown Rice Flour Brownie + almonds + rolled oats.

Longest post in forevah! Time for some shut eye!

4 comments:

  1. OOOOH---my goodness. All this looks great! Your snacks are always so pretty looking! ;)
    Have a wonderful Wednesday!!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. Can you please come make me that?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a killer workout! I hate the treadmill for long runs, but love it for speed work! Changing up the pace keeps me busy so its not so bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bean and corn lasagna looks fabulous!

    Let me know what you think about the Omnivore Dilemma. I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete