February 6, 2011

The Blessings of Family + Food

Sorry about disappearing off the face of the earth yesterday! I don't know if I've ever been so busy (in one day) in my life! But, it was a good busy, I must say.

(The beginning) 10K run around the neighborhood in 1 hr 2 mins, no knee pain, thank You Jesus! Then some push ups, ab work, and an amazing stretch. Tofu scramble really went down in a lovely way with paprika, nutritional yeast, bell pepper, serrano chili, tomato, avocado aaand corn tortilla joy. Then it was time to cook, for a superbowl party was heading our way, and I knew I'd have nooo time for my usually Sunday cooking-spree!









(The middle) I cooked: garbanzos, pinto beans, brown rice, quinoa, steel cut oats. I packed: veggies, fruits for lunches. I made: garbanzo burgers (or, "hummus patties") and sammies for lunches. Then we ate: beet, orange, peanut salad, and by then I was feeling slightly fatigued and so ready for some couch time!








(The late night) After cleaning 8 thousand dishes and wiping down the counter dozens of times, I created some dough + decorated a delightful pizza (which we enjoyed while watching Harry Potter, no shame)! Once 8:30 hit, I decided it was time to start the Mexico movie! It took me forever to get the hang of the program (Sony Vegas) because I'm so used to the classic Windows Movie Maker, but I had to make the switch because WMM drives me mad! I tinkered with Sony Vegas for a bit, and worked on the movie 'till 12:30, then slept like a rock.




~~~~~~~~~~~~

Theeeen Sunday morning came along, a lot quicker than my sleepy body had hoped, but I was super excited to finish the Mexico movie! I got out of bed at 7:45 and got ready for church, then consumed a delicious green BEAST that was so tasty I wanted to live inside of it. I tried working on the video while I ate, but the chocolate/fruit/kale mix was slightly distracting so I didn't get much done. We went to church, studied Ephesians 1:7-10 and learned about God's grace (forgiving our sins, always) and being free from the slavery of sin (God's Son Jesus Christ was sent to die for our sins, paying the ransom and giving us freedom in His name!)! It was beauuutiful!




Once home (after making a quick stop to Mr.Grocery store for some potatoes) I immediately opened up Sony Vegas and made meself a mooovie! It took a good 2+ hours to finish, and I spent most of the time singing along with iTunes. Which ended up being slightly more distracting than it should have been, but I was filled with glee singing atop my lungs!!

Then the phone rang, followed by a knock on the door, a family with their hands full of food and extra seating for all, and it was very clear: time to COOK! On the menu: burgers (veggie, chicken, beef) with fries (sweet + russet potatoes) a drink that is simply fresh lime juice, sugar, water, and chia seeds, and kale chips, with fruits + veggies on the fantastic side. I had a blast, to be honest, but I moved faster than I could think and did in fact sweat on extreme levels! How else would someone feel in a kitchen with 2 burners, an oven, and a George Foreman on? That aaand a bunch of loving people warming my heart, yo! Shoot. It all tasted like heaven, I won't lie even a little bit.






Dessert t'was: "double carob cashew cookies" from ED&BV but I made a zillion changes, so the recipe will definitely be shared! Also I threw loads of frozen fruit in a blender with kale (shhh! I didn't exactly tell anyone) oats, amaranth, wheat germ, rice milks, cocoa powder, vanilla and dates! I put 'em in the freezer for a bit while we watched the last of the Superbowl, then we went to town with chocolate, spoons, and cookies!



  • 1 cup rice flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1-2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup raw honey
  • 1/2 cup almond butter
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 splash sweetened almond milk
  • 1 handful crushed walnuts
  1. Preheat oven 375* line baking sheet with parchment paper
  2. Combine dry
  3. Combine wet
  4. Combine the two
  5. Spoon onto baking sheet, press in walnuts
  6. Bake for 11 mins, cool on pan 1 minute, transfer to cooling rack.
  7. Inhale, slowly, to enjoy the chocolate heaven for as long as humanly possible.


  • 2 cups rice milk
  • 3 bananas
  • 8 frozen strawberries
  • 2 handfuls frozen blueberries
  • 3 pitted dates
  • 1 1/2 big handfuls of kale
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • ice, ice, ice!



Oh goodness. You'd think I'd stop there with the food, but after our goodbye's and the giving of Mexico gifts, we cleaned the house a bit and suddenly felt a pang of hunger greeted my (our) tummy (tummies). So we fed 'em! His was muesli, almond milk, raisins n almonds. Mine was frozen blues, oats, almond milk, raisins, almonds, sunflower seeds, and a sprinkle of cinnamon/amaranth.




All in all, best weekend ever. Oh, but I did fail to mention that we ended up not watching the Mexico movie! We took a vote, and it seemed best to save Mexico for another get-together in the future. Which is a wonderful excuse for another day of cooking for the family! Cooking is too magical for words!









And now? I wish to sleep and not wake 'till 8am. But alas, that won't be the case. At least a girl can dream, right?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for a awesome, wonderful day and night with all your amazing food and family :) Love you my sweet daughter

    ReplyDelete