I can't, I just can't stop. I have coconut coming out of my dang ears. I am fascinated by it.
Health Benefits: Coconuts can add flavor, variety and--best of all--healthy nutrients to your diet. Coconuts are rich in lauric acid, which is known for being antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal, and boosts the immune system. Fresh coconut juice is one of the highest sources of electrolytes known to man, and can be used to prevent dehydration, for instance in cases of diarrhea or strenuous exercise, instead of a sports drink. Some remote areas of the world even use coconut juice intravenously, short-term, to help hydrate critically ill patients and in emergency situations. [source]
Tropical Coconut Squares:
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 6 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1.5 cups rolled oats, ground in food processor
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, not ground
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1.5 cups unsweetened shredded coconut + some for sprinkling
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey (I used only a squirt of raw honey, 'cause I love just a hint of sweetness)
- 4 tbsp ground flaxseed + 12 tbsp water (mix, let sit aside to become oil-like) **also can use 4 tbsp oil of choice (use coconut oil if you have it!)
- 1/4 cup pistachios (I used raw, unsalted)
- 1/2 cup raisins (or dried cranberries)
- Preheat oven 350* - spray lined 8x8 inch pan
- Combine chia + lime juice, set aside to form a gel.
- Food process those oats (just 1.5 cups!)
- Combine all dry ingredients
- Combine all wet, then add chias
- Add wet to dry and stir 'till blended
- Pour into prepared pan, sprinkle with coconut
- Bake 20-25 mins until edges are golden and beautiful
- Cool in pan for 10 mins, transfer to cooling rack for about 30
- Cut into 16 squares and eat forever and ever! I stored mine in a large tupperware with a piece of parchment in between layer 1 and 2 and they are holding up wonderfully!
Coconut over Green Monsters:
kale, rice milk, frozen fruit, wheat germ, ground flax, grapes, carob, raisins, almonds + unsweetened coconut
I could have sprinkled it with coconut, though.
Pinto Beans = Sunday's Protein:
also, free of coconut (it's a miracle!)
Broccoli + Cauliflower Pizza:
Sweet and savory? I d'no
I looked at the title, the ingredients list, realized I had just about everything mentioned, got excited, told hubby I really wanted to make it but that he would most likely hate it's unique-ness, and he mentioned just making him a stir-fry and cocoa-coconut chili-ing things for jus' me. It sounded like a plan, stan.
*I ended up using h2o instead of soy milk, and I added a handful of corn!
tomato, bell pepper, celery, onion, black beans, white navy beans, lentils.
coconut delight for tomorrow's lunch! I'm so ready to try this beauty.
tofu, quinoa, brocc, bell pepper, carrot
result = love.
My first time. I was so excited!
berry madness, next to coconut lemon square.
(coconut "yogurt" with a touch of cinnamon, banana, microwaved strawberries from mr. freezer, frozen blueberries, and some rolled oats were most definitely tossed atop this bowl before consuming with great joy.
Love you, coconut. Who wants to plant me a tree?