February 22, 2011

Sleeping in the Gym

I love sleeping, it is such a peaceful verb and it always seems to put people in a great mood. What's not to adore about it? I don't, however, jump for joy when my body wants to get some shut-eye during my morning workouts. But this morning, it felt so right.

Mon: 4.5 miles - 42:20 treadmill speeds 6-7
Tues: 4.5 miles - 44:20 elliptical speeds 65-80

I felt fine yesterday, as my Adidas running shoes pounded the treadmill's band consistently for the entire workout. Not once did I feel like closing my eyes, mainly because I would find myself face first on the gym floor behind me, with skid marks on my nose, cheeks, and forehead. Yet as I got out of bed this morn', all I could think about was sleep. Am I sleep deprived? Do I lack in proper shut eye? I don't really think that's the case. I was just in zombie mode, no biggie. So I decided to embrace it.

It's day 2 of gym w/o reading where I leave the magazines at home, forget the book I'm dying to jump into, and try to focus on getting a good sweat in, while listening to my body. So I got onto the elliptical, set the level to 8, and proceeded to move me legs. It was torture, I won't lie. All I could pay attention to was the time, how much longer I had left, how utterly slow I was moving, how I was already sweating and wanting to get off the stinkin' machine after 4 minutes!! Horrid. So I did something quite clever: I closed my eyes. and slept.

Okay. By "slept" I really mean I fell into this deep level of focus with my eyes closed, where I all I did was talk to Jesus and pay attention to my legs' form on my friend, the elliptical. It felt beautiful, it was extremely peaceful, and I sweat like a crazy head. So, for those of us who have yet to come to grips with the tranquil side of yoga, let's try n' save a day for some eyes-closed elliptical, shall we? I vote yes.

bfast:

steel cut, cocoa powder, raisins, almonds, rice milk, half banana, carob chips, sunflower seeds, crunchy peanut buttah.




chocolate mess.

snacks:

the usual suspects :)

Lunch:

home-cooked pinto beans with serrano chili, vegan almond rice loaf with kale (heaaaveeeen!!!)

dinners:

My tummy and garbanzos beans have been fighting a lot recently, so I decided this would be my last meal with these guys. It's a huge bummer, 'cause garbanzos are my FAVORITE form of protein by faaar! But, I have to be nice to my insides, right? So, avocado garbanzo tacos with cilantro, it was amazing being with you, I hope others can enjoy your fantastic texture, flavor, and health properties as much as I have. T'was a joyous friendship, I say.


sad days, garbanzo fellas.

God bless! Have a fabuloso Wednesday t'morrow, we're half way 'till delightful weeeekend time!

Look to the Lord and His strength, seek His face always.
1 Chronicles 16:11

2 comments:

  1. I like going to the gym first thing int he morning where I kind of come to mid-workout and am almost done. It's the best feeling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I have to admit I was thinking "Oh wow, you slept while on the treadmill?" That makes more sense, though. I'm glad you got to a good place. :)

    ReplyDelete