February 12, 2011

V.Day Dash + Running Anniversary

Two years + 1 week ago, my hubby mentioned he was going to run a 5k race the upcoming Saturday, "Love 'em or Leave 'em Valentines Day Dash". He sort of asked if I wanted to give it a try, and I sort of said yes. I was not a runner, and I did not desire to be one, but I thought it'd be a bit rad to run a race and pretend I was as cool as my hubby. My 1 week "training" went a lot like this:

Mon: 3/4 mile jog
Tues: rest
Wed: 1 mile jog
Thur: 3/4 mile jog
Fri: rest
Sat: 5K (3.1 miles)

and when I say it was all training, it was really just me trying to move my feet at a faster-than-walking pace, for as long as I could. And I only lasted less than a mile most of the time, but pushing myself one day to hit 1 complete mile. Then race day came: my only goal was to not stop to walk for even a second. It was freezing, I didn't know runners had their own special gloves, and my fingers were purple and lifeless. But I moved, and moved, and pushed, and breathed deeply, and jogged at the slowest imaginable speed without calling it "walking", and eventually I crossed the finish line at 36 minutes. It was my 5K PR, and I was a proud new runner.

One year and some one or two races later, the Valentine's Day Dash came around again. I wanted to hit 28 minutes and completed the race in 27 minutes, and this year I wanted to break 25 minutes. I now had about 7 races under my runner's belt and I was ready to truly push hard to try n' break some new personal best times. So 25 and under t'was my goal, and I was a nervous banana shaking in my running pants, to be honest.


1 slice homemade bread, toasted + topped with: almond butter, cinnamon, banana, raisins, chia seeds


ch ch ch chia!


right before the start


hubby in the yellow! go hubs, goooo!!

recap: no knee pain for me (thank you Jesus!!!), started off pretty quickly running just over 8 minute miles for the first 2 miles, then trying to go as fast as I could for the last mile but slowing things down a bit without knowing (it's called going out too fast, sister!). I was feeling so happy throughout, singing songs in my head since I didn't bring me iPod, and not focusing on passing people but simply listening to my breathing, watching my footing, and trying to be speedy. The finish line came so quickly, I love me some 5Ks!


I was giddy like a school girl once I saw Edu and my parents waiting for me at the finish. That's when the smile broke free and I couldn't hold in my joy anymore. official time: 25:56!!! I couldn't believe my watch, I was so stinkin' excited to hit my goal time, it was insane!!


happy, sweaty couple!


my amaaazing + most favoritist people on the planet: mamita + papa, also the best photographers I know :)


I ate: half cinnamon raisin bagel


apple + banana


brownie from PCC Natural Markets


love love looove!


hubby = speedy Gonzales, my love bug. 5k - 17:57!


riight before the finish, we ran through this baby: tunnel of love + loving + lovely sprinting to the finish!


My best buddy :)


I love when race shirts come with the whole registration package. Who wants to pay an extra $10-15 for the shirt, right?

bfast fuel!

then we ate tofu scramble + scrambled eggs!


extra firm tofu with nutritional yeast + paprika + red pepper flakes with kale, bell pepper, serrano chili. and we love our tomato + avocado with corn tortillas!


egg-licious

New Friend:

special dark cocoa got a new home in a jar! I love jar-ing all my foods, uncooked grains, non-perishable oatmeal toppings, etc.




check out the similarities/differences between unsweetened cocoa + special dark: 10 cal each, 5 fat cal each, 0.5g fat each, 0 cholesterol each, 35g sodium dark (0g unsweetened normal), same carbs, same fiber, protein 'bout the same, 8% more iron w/the special dark. I'm a fan, yo!!

Then, I ate beans:

while I cooked everything: garbanzos, rice, quinoa, steel cut oats, beans (cooked, then consumed), 2 loaves bread, lunches for mon/tues, sammies for mon/tues. Ahh I love finishing up all that before the work week begins, it saves so much time and stress!

Then this...


Turned into these:

hooray! I was inspired by my mami to add chia seeds to my loaves, making the recipe:
  • 5 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 1/2 cups warm tap water
  • 1/2 cup gluten
  • 1/2 cup raw honey
  • 4 tablespoons ground flax (oil substitute)
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds
Then PIZZA!


mine: dough, sauce, summer squash, cabbage, pineapple, serrano chili, bell pepper, bean sprouts


extra dough = 1 mini pretzel for two :)


deliciously covered in red pepper flakes (my anti-drug)


woah. bean sprouts (inspired by Vive Le Vegan) are amazing atop pizza.

Then movie night, and later, dessert time!


brown rice brownie sweetened with banana + applesauce, with walnuts + cocoa powder joy!


chocolate soup: sweetened almond milk, ice, half banana (do frozen!), cocoa powder, vanilla, 1 date, shredded 88% vegan dark chocolate shavings!


topped with roasted sunflower seeds + muesli, thankyouverymuch.

Ah, we're going through 2 Timothy this week and I've been loving these verses! "You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus" (2:1) "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus" (2:3) ~ Paul is writing a letter to Timothy while he is in jail, and his advice is so amazing and inspiring.

He was such an awesome follower of Christ and we're really enjoying the little moments each night or so when we read these chapters! Isn't it amazing how, no matter what we're going through in our lives, God's Word has the power to talk to us right where we are as if the verse was specially written just for us to read in the very moment we are reading it? It just shows how much I need His Word daily, it's essential!

Happy Saturday, from windy, rainy, power-wants-to-go-out Seattle land!

5 comments:

  1. GREAT JOB GIRL!! :D
    So glad your knee cooperated :) I know how that can be!! :P
    Pizza/pretzels look AMAZZZING!!
    :D
    p.s. thanks for the following tip!! It worked--YAY!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow congratulations Nicole!!! You are a speedster! Can't believe you took 10 minutes off your initial 5k - thats amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love chia and your running photos are very exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy running anniversary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog while googling how to get my 5K time down to 25 minutes. I did a 5K in october in 28 and another one in january in 27:50. I really really really want to get to 25 minutes. Congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete