March 6, 2011

Chocolate Coconut Cakes

This morning started off with the richest pancakes I have ever made. And I didn't want them to ever end, or for my plate to find itself empty, but that's exactly what happened.



After I saw this wonderful-looking chocolate/coco pancake recipe on a blog last night (you know, the blog I can't find worth beans right now and I really wanted to give her credit!!), and I realized I finally had some shredded coconut in the refrigerator, I new they'd be perfect for a Sunday morn' meal. So I got busy in the kitchen.

  • 1 giant banana, mashed
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp rolled oats, food processed into a flour
  • 1/2 cup + few splashes of water
  • 3 tbsp unsweetened coconut
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened dark cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
  • 1 tbsp wheat germ
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tsp powerful cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 handful of raw pistachios
  • a few carob chips, 'cause I can!
  • frozen... blueberries.. for pre-pancake snacking purposes, of course.
makes 9 mini-chocolate coconut bites of joy!



ok, they were supposed to be for the cakes, but I got hungry!



Delicious, filling, not too sweet so I didn't feel like I just had cake for breakfast and wanted to lie down on the couch for a good hour or so before the day began. They were rich, full of chocolate flavor, and super satisfying! Sweet carob chips, batman, this recipe is a keeper!

Then church time, an incredible moment of worship, communion and reading Ephesians 2:1-5. It is all about how once we were slaves to sin, before finding Christ and receiving His gift of forgiveness and of eternal life. How we were dead in our transgressions but are now alive because of the grace that God pours upon us day after day.
But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. Ephesians 2:4 + 5

We were completely lost, in the dark, frustrated, lifeless, hopeless, but God has given us new life in His name! Amen, sisters. I love how freeing that feels, to know and find comfort in the fact that after we ask Jesus to come into our hearts and our lives, and we choose to live a new life for Him, no one and nothing can take that salvation away, and we have hope every morning we open up our eyes.
"O' taste and see, that the Lord is good All you people, all you saints, all you children of the King."

After church, we headed over to Edu's workplace to get some car troubles out of the way (re-charge that battery, yo!) and I ate one of these steals from TJMaxx: from $1.69 to .70? I'll take 5, please! I haven't had a Larabar in what feels like 9 years or so, since I'd rather make 'em myself if I really crave some date/nut bar, but this babe was sweet joy on a cloudy day!




Then home and beans, enough pinto beans (cooked in h2o with salt, garlic, onion inside pressure cooker, then garlic + onion removed and served with avocado + homemade salsa) to fill the entire inside of our bodies, and then overflow from our ears and toes. Graphic? Well, it's my way of saying we ate a whole lotta beans at 3:00pm! But it was a good choice, and held me over for hours before pizza time dropped down for the second time this weekend ...



but before pizza, I decided to make tomorrow's dinner (hubby eats it on his lunch break at 3pm, and I bring it to work for lunch since I eat lighter dinnerz that are usually thrown together in 10 seconds!). On the menu? 101cookbooks' Delicious Big Bowl - Quinoa!


I love the simplicity of the recipe, and it's been a good while since I made it so it fit nicely. I used green onion instead of yellow, since Edu prefers less powerful onion breath and green onion is just enough to add a nice onion-like flavor. I also used some dried garlic bits instead of fresh. And, naturally, we both tried a few bites before it found itself in a Tupperware ready for the fridge!




Pizza then fell from the skies. I added kabocha squash (do not attempt at home, it didn't taste too hot atop the pizza so I ended up picking it all off and eating it separate. Crazy mixture of flavors!) along with broccoli, 1 brussel sprout (the very last of our sweet green friends), bell pepper, serrano chili, asparagus, fresh pineapple + red pepper flakes.





The crust was insanely good tonight, last nights was just over the mark for being too thin, but I totally got it right this time! Edu's pizza was just like last night's: turkey + mozz with the other originals.



Then movie: Buried which pretty much left me tense, sad, and anxious. I'm hoping for no re-plays of the movie while I'm in REM sleep (Rapid Eye Movement, when all the dreaming goes down!) tonight, 'cause any dreams about that movie would not bring any good, I just know it.

Hope everyone had rad weekends, time for another 5 days of good ol' working at a desk! :)

As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
1 Peter 4:10

2 comments:

  1. I made pizza last night also!! And I legit had coconut/chocolate (cocoa powder)/blueberry pancakes this a.m.--SERIOUSLY!! Great minds think alike :)
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I love pizza so much! Thanks for the note about the squash. I won't try that one. ;) Sounds like you guys had a great (and flavorful) weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete